• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Nickname can my boss make me stop using it?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sarz

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law) I reside in Oregon,

I use my nickname on my formal email at work. I have been working here for a short time. I have sent out many messages so far and today I receive a message from the person that hired me to stop using my nickname on my email to stop confusion to people who don't know me. My email includes my real name in it. Does he have a right to make me stop using it. Yes I like my job , Yes I think my boss is an ok person and no the nickname is not inappropriate. Do I have to remove it. My nickname is Sarz and I don't want to lose my job over it however I don't believe he has the right to ask me this. I can use any name I choose to be called. When I interviewed I mentioned my nickname.

I apologize if this is not the right forum for this. I didn't any listing for it.

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration of this matter.

Also if I need to provide more information please let me know.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law) I reside in Oregon,

I use my nickname on my formal email at work. I have been working here for a short time. I have sent out many messages so far and today I receive a message from the person that hired me to stop using my nickname on my email to stop confusion to people who don't know me. My email includes my real name in it. Does he have a right to make me stop using it. Yes I like my job , Yes I think my boss is an ok person and no the nickname is not inappropriate. Do I have to remove it. My nickname is Sarz and I don't want to lose my job over it however I don't believe he has the right to ask me this. I can use any name I choose to be called. When I interviewed I mentioned my nickname.

I apologize if this is not the right forum for this. I didn't any listing for it.

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration of this matter.

Also if I need to provide more information please let me know.
No, he can't make you stop using it.
Yes, he can fire you if you don't stop using it.

justalayman

I use my nickname on my formal email at work.
then that kind of makes it informal, doesn't it? Formal communications demand formal names and titles simply by virtue of them being formal.

I have been working here for a short time.
if you wish it to continue, I suggest you start paying attention to what your boss is telling you and stop being so obstinate.

I don't want to lose my job over it however
there is no however. If you do not wish to lose your job over it and the boss has given you notice you would, then how about allowing some common sense loose and stop using it?

I don't believe he has the right to ask me this.
Oh how wrong you are.

I can use any name I choose to be called.
and he can fire you if you do not comply with his orders

When I interviewed I mentioned my nickname.
that's nice

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You can use any name you want when you're on your own time. When you're on the boss's time, you do things his way. If he doesn't want you using your nickname at work, then if you want to keep your job you don't use your nickname at work. If he fires you for insisting on using your nickname, it will be entirely legal.

commentator

I worked at a place where the boss did just that. She had several people with similar names, so she "re-christened" one of them for all work purposes. You can call yourself and look and behave pretty much the way you want to on your own time, but on the company's time, the boss can ask you to use whatever name they choose, and you have the option to quit or be fired if you don't want to do that.

justalayman

a possible solution would be to legally change your name to sarz. The boss could still use your old name but at least you could make the point that he insisted you use your formal name when at work before.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I worked at a place where the boss did just that. She had several people with similar names, so she "re-christened" one of them for all work purposes. You can call yourself and look and behave pretty much the way you want to on your own time, but on the company's time, the boss can ask you to use whatever name they choose, and you have the option to quit or be fired if you don't want to do that.
I had a long term temporary position while I was in grad school at a call center. There were two of us with the same first name and we kept getting each other's calls and mail, so the boss asked for one of us to use our middle name.

Pinkie39

I have a relative named Richard, who has a coworker of the same name. He's tall and the other guy is short, so their coworkers christened them "Big Dick" and "Little Dick", to avoid confusion. Seriously, ha, ha!

Indiana Filer

I worked at a place where the boss did just that. She had several people with similar names, so she "re-christened" one of them for all work purposes.
I had a supervisor for 5 years that, for some unknown reason, called me Candace. I knew he meant me, so I answered.

Signed,
Not Candace

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">