• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No fridge in home - but one was in the listing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

marshalAK

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA

Hi everyone,

I recently rented a home here. The original listing, of which I have a copy, states that the rental home had the following appliances:

Dishwasher
Garbage Disposal
Stove/Oven
Full Refrigerator

I did do a quick walkthrough of the home about a month ago, and I'm embarrassed to admit I don't remember if the fridge was there or not. Should have taken notes.

I was happy with the rest of the house, so I signed a lease for it on Saturday. When I went to move my stuff in, I noticed there wasn't a fridge.

My question is, "who is responsible for providing the fridge now that I've signed the lease"? While the landlord did list a refrigerator as an included appliance in the original listing, I did sign the lease before realizing there wasn't a fridge - and that's totally my bad.

Thanks in advance for your advice. I am fully prepared to accept any snark due to my dumb oversight.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Does your contract specifically state that a refrigerator will be provided?

marshalAK

Zig, no, it doesn't. The only mention of appliances is non-specific as to type and states only that they aren't guaranteed to work for the term of the lease and I can repair or replace if I so choose.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Zig, no, it doesn't. The only mention of appliances is non-specific as to type and states only that they aren't guaranteed to work for the term of the lease and I can repair or replace if I so choose.
You have no case. You did a walk-through and accepted the apartment. The lease controls.

FarmerJ

M since your lease states appliances are present but LL is trying to push repairs onto tenant. Normally I tell people if a LL doiesnt want repair obligations regarding appliances then they should not have them there other wise any appliances included are LL obligation to repair. BUT at the same time if your okay with it then a good choice also is to plan on replacing appliances and taking reasonable steps to store the LLs appliances and send LL certified letter as each appliance is taken out of service telling the LL the appliances they own are removed from service , that they are stored and covered on site and will be put back in when you move out since you will take the appliances you own with you. Why go to this kind of trouble , well you didnt say how old they appear to be or what kind of condition they are in , When some LLs do it that way at the end of tenancy they attempt to charge to tenants deposit repair or replacement cost especially if tenant disposes of LL owned appliances when they fail , then all the sudden some LLs will claim when tenant removed appliances they put in due to LL owned appliances not working any more that tenant didnt have the right to do so and owes for appliances , so it takes away that option since tenant has paper trail showing that they took LLs appliances out of service , stored them and were going to put LLs appliances back in service before moving out.

marshalAK

M since your lease states appliances are present but LL is trying to push repairs onto tenant. Normally I tell people if a LL doiesnt want repair obligations regarding appliances then they should not have them there other wise any appliances included are LL obligation to repair. BUT at the same time if your okay with it then a good choice also is to plan on replacing appliances and taking reasonable steps to store the LLs appliances and send LL certified letter as each appliance is taken out of service telling the LL the appliances they own are removed from service , that they are stored and covered on site and will be put back in when you move out since you will take the appliances you own with you. Why go to this kind of trouble , well you didnt say how old they appear to be or what kind of condition they are in , When some LLs do it that way at the end of tenancy they attempt to charge to tenants deposit repair or replacement cost especially if tenant disposes of LL owned appliances when they fail , then all the sudden some LLs will claim when tenant removed appliances they put in due to LL owned appliances not working any more that tenant didnt have the right to do so and owes for appliances , so it takes away that option since tenant has paper trail showing that they took LLs appliances out of service , stored them and were going to put LLs appliances back in service before moving out.
Farmer,

Thanks so much for this! I have a huge garage and have a feeling more than one of the appliances is going to go live there until I move out.

phase08

did do a quick walkthrough of the home about a month ago, and I'm embarrassed to admit I don't remember if the fridge was there or not. Should have taken notes.

I was happy with the rest of the house, so I signed a lease for it on Saturday. When I went to move my stuff in, I noticed there wasn't a fridge.
When you do an initial walk thru, not only should you make sure that all the advertised appliances are there but you should take time to make sure they actually work/function - before signing the lease. Some landlords will promise anything to get your signature on a lease and rent and deposit money.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">