• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non Compete?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Plain_Joe

What is the name of your state? California

Hi

After reading this page, I had some questions;
http://employment-law.freeadvice.com/employment-law/california-trade-secret-law.htm

I have recently been laid off during a company workforce reduction after only a few months on the job. I was not a manager of any kind and did not have any major decision making powers.

I have been wanting to start my own small business in the same field for a long time. And now I have both the time and money to do it. I should also say that I did not take any confidential information of any kind form my former employer. And I did not learn anything new while working for them. In fact, they hired me for my knowledge. My question is, how likely is it, that my former employer will try and keep me from opening my own small business? Should I expect a letter from their lawyer, even if I did not sign a non-compete agreement?

Thank you

Plain_Joe

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state? California

Hi

After reading this page, I had some questions;
http://employment-law.freeadvice.com/employment-law/california-trade-secret-law.htm

I have recently been laid off during a company workforce reduction after only a few months on the job. I was not a manager of any kind and did not have any major decision making powers.

I have been wanting to start my own small business in the same field for a long time. And now I have both the time and money to do it. I should also say that I did not take any confidential information of any kind form my former employer. And I did not learn anything new while working for them. In fact, they hired me for my knowledge. My question is, how likely is it, that my former employer will try and keep me from opening my own small business? Should I expect a letter from their lawyer, even if I did not sign a non-compete agreement?

Thank you

Plain_Joe
**A: I would say yes.

Plain_Joe

**A: I would say yes.
So, what if the business was in my wife's name? She never worked for them and never signed any agreements of any kind, Hmm? i would just "work" for her. Otherwise, if my former employer tried to keep me from starting a business, they would need proof that I stole something (which I did not), and claim that I signed a non-compete (which I did not) correct? On the other hand, if they took me to court they would be committing economic suicide. My industry is a very small one, and all of these types of companies rely on a small pool of workers, nation wide. We all know each other, and know what we are going through, both good and bad. And if I ever heard of a company trying to screw a fellow rank and file compatriot, and even if I didn't know him, I would boycott that company, and so would most if not all of us. We are extremely technically skilled, its not like my former employer can go down to the EDD office and grab a bunch of file shufflers. And besides, I am in California. I do not know of a single case where a company in my industry (in California) tried to keep a former employee (with the exception of an executive) form doing something like this.

So yes, they could send their attack lawyers on me, and keep me from opening shop. But in the end, they would be doing more harm to themselves then to me...

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">