• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non-custodial Father on emergency forms

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Candymartin

My husband's ex-wife is the custodial parent and legal guardian of their two children. We all live in Ohio. We just recently found out that on school forms and medical forms where it ask for "Father's" information she puts down her new husband's name and phone number and for emergency contact she lists her in-laws. On medical forms she also lists her husband as the Father and for ememgency phone numbers she lists her in-laws. The only time my husband is mentioned is for insurance purposes, which does not include phone number. We are very active in the children's lives but new teachers, doctors, etc are always surprised to find out they have a natural father in the picture. The mother always leaves the impression with new people that their Father is not around and should not be told anything. We have to bring out the court papers to show that my husband does have a right to this information. Is there anyway to stop this? We are told that the school can send us copies of report cards etc. but in the case of emergencies they have to call whomever is on the card. Legally can she do this or does she have the right because she is the custodial parent and legal guardian.

MySonsMom

Since she is the custodial parent she can put whoever she prefers on the forms for emergency contacts. If your hubby has joint custody, then all you have to do is call the school and ask them to send you information regarding the children. He can access all school records, and medical with joint custody. It isn't up to the Mother to provide him with all of the info, if you want the info you will have to get it. But it there for you to get. I suggest calling the school, and asking them if they would send copies of report cards etc..and have a note in the childrens file with your names on there as "other parents". As far as the emergency contacts, she can list whomever she chooses. Good luck!

------------------
*There is no love, like the unconditional love of a Mother*

-I am not an Attorney, any advice given is strictly advice-

N

navywife_tx

I don't know if it's just a mood that i'm in tonight regarding parents acting like children or what but MSM, you wrote a line that i couldn't get over.".and have a note in the childrens file with your names on
there as "other parents".---now why should the FATHER have to be put down as "other parent?" I'm not bashing what you said but i just don't think it's fair that the father have to feel like he's the step parent when he isn't. Do you understand what i'm saying? The mother,in my opinion,is wrong for putting the childs step-father down as father b/c he is not the father. IF something should happen to the child and they call the step father for the emergency,it will only slow matters down. I can understand how Candymartin's husband feels b/c my daughter is staying with her ex step father to finish out the school year(her choice)b/c i moved us to Texas. I had to go to her school to introduce my self to her teacher so that she would know that i do exist and i am her parent. Now, the father should go to the school and meet with the teacher so that she knows he is involved and i would request that copies of report cards and such be sent to him. I would also talk to the mother and ask her why she is not listing the father where he should be on impt. papers. Sorry once again for babbling, but i'm in a mood tonight.

MySonsMom

Navywife:

I refer to the non custodial parents as other parents. Because in my mind, if 2 parents are no longer together and they have remarried or whatever, the child(ren) then have 2 sets of parents. The parents that they live with, and the other parents that they visit. So that is what I was referring to as the other parents. Just like my step son refers to his bio Mom, his other Mom. Was not meant to bash or degrade; really wasn't. That is just how I refer to 2 sets of parents. That's all.

------------------
*There is no love, like the unconditional love of a Mother*

-I am not an Attorney, any advice given is strictly advice-

S

Snoopy 1

Why not ask the school to contact you also in the case of an emergency. My boyfriend has made that request and the school was more than to happy to comply. He also has had a problem getting school pictures that he has paid for. This year he contacted the school photographer and worked out arrangements( mailing a check with an order form for the pictures and they were sent straight to his home. He got the girls pictures back before the girls got there's sent to the school).

N

navywife_tx

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MySonsMom:
Navywife:

I refer to the non custodial parents as other parents. Because in my mind, if 2 parents are no longer together and they have remarried or whatever, the child(ren) then have 2 sets of parents. The parents that they live with, and the other parents that they visit. So that is what I was referring to as the other parents. Just like my step son refers to his bio Mom, his other Mom. Was not meant to bash or degrade; really wasn't. That is just how I refer to 2 sets of parents. That's all.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Oh, i totally understand what you are saying and i,as usual, seem to have a bit of an attitude when i write but i don't mean to. I have stated before that I am not a step parent so therefore i don't know how the role feels. I am a parent and i have 2 daughters that currently live with their father and i can understand the feelings towards not being put on impt. school papers. I am however, very lucky that my ex and i are like best friends,most of the time, and i have no problems with seeing school papers, report cards, etc. I just wish other seperated parent's could get along as well as my ex and i do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">