• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non-Profit Organization Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

It seems like a simple question, but I want to be sure about this before our organization starts using incorrect wording in fliers and such.

Our organization is registered with the state of Ohio as a non-profit corporation. Can we use the designation of being a 501 non-profit since we have not yet registered with the IRS? I know that when you become a non-profit with the IRS they then give you the 501 c3 designation.

Or do we need to call the organization a charity until we get 501 c3 from the IRS?

Is there such a thing as a 501 only registered with the state?

Hope that makes sense and thank you!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If you aren't in compliance with the code in question, then you can't say that you are.

tranquility

I'm not sure even saying you are a "charity" wouldn't cause problems. You might have some donors who get pretty upset if they donate with the goal of a tax deduction they can never take.

If you aren't in compliance with the code in question, then you can't say that you are.
That is what I was thinking. We had another member of the board who was saying that because we are registered with the state as a non profit corporation that we could use 501, I am guessing because he thinks that every non profit is automatically a 501 and then later you get the c(3) for the federal government.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">