• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

noncitizen widows benefits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jamal123

What is the name of your state? NH Not sure if this went through before so I am posting again. Sorry! My father, 78, passed away in early November 2004. My mother, now 82, was married to him for 59 years. They came to the US in 1950 and both have worked until their mid-60s. Father was a naturalized citizen and all three kids are citizens. Social Security Administration is denying my mother widows benefits because she cannot find her green card, which we explained was lost in a horrendous fire back in the 70's. She has a social security card, she worked in the US for 38 years. We gave the SSA her alien card number, which is just one digit off of father's number, (because they applied at the same time). She gave copies of father's naturalization papers, her marriage certificate and everything else they have asked her. What can she do? Please help!!!

rmet4nzkx

Here is a link to apply for a replacement green card I-90

Form I-90, E-File Application to Replace Permanent Residence Card
http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/e-i-90.htm
Who Is Eligible to E-File This Form:
For Replacing Lost or Damaged Cards:
o Your previous card was lost, stolen, mutilated, or destroyed;
o You have been a commuter and are now taking up actual residence in the United States;
o You have been a permanent resident residing in the United States and are now taking up commuter status;
o Your status has been automatically converted to permanent resident status, this includes Special Agricultural Worker applicants who are converting to permanent resident status;
o You have a previous version of the alien registration card (e.g., INS Form AR-3, Form AR-103, or Form I-151, all no longer valid proof of your status) and must replace it with the current Permanent Resident Card (Form I-551);
o Your card contains incorrect data (see "Filing Fee" below)
o Your last name or other biographic information on the card has been legally changed since you last received your card; or,
o You never received the previous card that was issued to you by USCIS.

Filing Fee:
$185 (an additional $70 fingerprint fee may apply) Note that when using this Form I-90 to correct incorrect data due to INS or USCIS administrative error, you do NOT have to pay the fee.

Initial Evidence and Supporting Documentation:
You may need to provide documents that support your application. After filing your form electronically, please mail the supporting documentation to the appropriate address as instructed on your Confirmation Receipt notice. Please be sure to attach a copy of the Confirmation Receipt notice or Form I-797, Notice of Action, (receipt notice) issued by USCIS to the documents to help USCIS match them to your file. See general instructions for Submitting Supporting Documentation.

For Replacing Lost or Damaged Cards:
Unless your card has been lost, stolen, destroyed or you never received it, you must mail your original Permanent Resident Card to the appropriate address listed on your Confirmation Receipt notice. Please retain a photocopy of the front and back of your card for your records.

If you have been automatically converted to permanent resident status, you must mail in your original temporary status document. Please retain a photocopy of the document for your records.

evcalyptos

jamal123 said:
What is the name of your state? NH Not sure if this went through before so I am posting again. Sorry! My father, 78, passed away in early November 2004. My mother, now 82, was married to him for 59 years. They came to the US in 1950 and both have worked until their mid-60s. Father was a naturalized citizen and all three kids are citizens. Social Security Administration is denying my mother widows benefits because she cannot find her green card, which we explained was lost in a horrendous fire back in the 70's. She has a social security card, she worked in the US for 38 years. We gave the SSA her alien card number, which is just one digit off of father's number, (because they applied at the same time). She gave copies of father's naturalization papers, her marriage certificate and everything else they have asked her. What can she do? Please help!!!
I'm sorry for the loss of your father.
This might be a good case for making an InfoPass appointment to get into your local office and speak with an officer. They may let you file the I-90 there, or there may be other issues. Go for information, but don't file anything if you are unsure or have doubts about the advice you get at your local office. Have mom's photos ready to take in with her and her passport; they may issue her with an ADIT stamp as temporary proof of her status.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">