• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

nonpayment of taxes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

angieshue

What is the name of your state? MO

What happens when a person does NOT file income tax for 15 years or more, and the IRS audits them? Do they give them an opportunity up front to make it right, or do they go rough on them for tax evasion?

dallas702

If the non-filer has a trail of reportable income the IRS can figure out from employer filings, etc. how much the taxes would have been. Then, they will assess interest and penalties for those years where taxes were owed. They are not likely to push for criminal prosecution if the amount can be paid quickly. They might even be kind enough to work out a payment plan, but that also accrues further interest. At IRS rates it is better to borrow the money and pay what is owed immediately. You need to take care of this right away. Call a local office and arrange a meeting. You can get assistance from the taxpayer Advocate office.

Didn't I answer this question already? Is there some other way to handle this than throwing oneself on the "mercy" of the agency? Not other than running to some other country for the rest of your life. ;)

angieshue

MO.
Just to let you know, this isn't about MY taxes. My ex husband hasn't filed income tax in about 15 years, and he owes lots and lots of back child support, so in order to pursue this, the prosecutor asked for his income taxes to be garnished, but no taxes, no child support. Sucks to be me. Actually it is hard to take care of my daughter without the help of her father.

dallas702

Worse, the IRS would get theirs first. After not paying CS or taxes your ex should have a good stash somewhere. He might need it to keep Bubba off his back if he goes to jail.

angieshue

mo. I quite honestly don't know how someone could not file for that long and not get caught, I would be in jail right now, but he is lucky I guess. But his philosophy, is the government owes him, I don't quite think Uncle Sam will have that attitude.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">