• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not living in parents house help tax time?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mariet

Exactly what part of that post is BS? The information about whom is considered to be a dependent for federal financial aid purposes was taken directly from the U.S. Department of Education's own website at www.fafsa.ed.gov. Section 2 (Student Status) of the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) explains the conditions under which a student has to submit their parents' financial information (including tax forms) for review. The FAFSA is necessary to apply for all types of student financial aid available through state and federal governments as well as colleges and universities. The original poster seemed to be confused as to why financial aid counselors needed her parents' financial information when she was not a dependent for federal tax purposes. I assume that's why she was posting in this forum. If you have any information that can help this young lady, please post it for her. No need to be so critical when I was only trying to help her understand.

Last edited:

taxLAW

mariet said:
Exactly what part of that post is BS? The information about whom is considered to be a dependent for federal financial aid purposes was taken directly from the U.S. Department of Education's own website at www.fafsa.ed.gov. Section 2 (Student Status) of the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) explains the conditions under which a student has to submit their parents' financial information (including tax forms) for review. The FAFSA is necessary to apply for all types of student financial aid available through state and federal governments as well as colleges and universities. The original poster seemed to be confused as to why financial aid counselors needed her parents' financial information when she was not a dependent for federal tax purposes. I assume that's why she was posting in this forum. If you have any information that can help this young lady, please post it for her. No need to be so critical when I was only trying to help her understand.
Thank you for your help. I understand now. I appreciate everyones help

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">