• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not our debt, how do we proceed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

poohluvr

What is the name of your state? Kansas
Today my DH got a letter from a couple of lawyers in Wichita. They say we owe someone a debt in Winfield, we are close to KC. The problem is we don't owe this. We have never heard of this person and have never been to where he is. As best as I can figure this person owns a convenience store from what I have found so far on the internet.
I think this law firm is being lazy and typed in my DH's name and sent a letter to the first person with a similar name. The middle initial is wrong and the address they sent it to is not a complete one for our address, which is what shows if you do a look up for us online.
The part that really truly has me annoyed is the 2 forms they sent with it. They want him to sign papers agreeing on payment terms. They also want to know both our names, address, Social Security#'s, DOB, work place, amount we make, expenses, property and vehicles we own and all the bank we do business with. I am not that stupid to just hand over info like that, especially when we do not owe it and it is only $258 to begin with.
I don't know if I should ignore this letter, or contact them and possibly encourage them any more.
What steps do I need to take to make this lazy law firm realize they have the wrong people? Do I need to call or write them? How hard is it usually to make them realize they have the wrong person?
Thanks for any info!

poohluvr

That designated hittrer happens to be my husband.;) We happen to have no debt and great credit. We would like to keep other peoples problems their own and not ours.
All joking aside does anyone have any advice on how we should proceed to get these people to realize he is not the person they are looking for with the least trouble for us?
I did poke around more on the internet and using several different searches I discovered there is the person they are looking for listed in the town the debt is from, not that it really helps us, it just shows they didn't look too hard.

badapple40

That designated hittrer happens to be my husband.;) We happen to have no debt and great credit. We would like to keep other peoples problems their own and not ours.
All joking aside does anyone have any advice on how we should proceed to get these people to realize he is not the person they are looking for with the least trouble for us?
I did poke around more on the internet and using several different searches I discovered there is the person they are looking for listed in the town the debt is from, not that it really helps us, it just shows they didn't look too hard.
Send a letter back to them, indicating that they have the wrong person (and indicate that they do not even have your husbands middle name right). Tell them that they should have searched a bit harder, and provide them the real guy's name.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">