• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not paid for Childcare services

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JessiJC

What is the name of your state? Iowa

I have been providing childcare & the family has decided that they no longer need to pay me. They have stopped bringing the children but still owe for 2 1/2 weeks of care. Their story always changes & they are constantly contradicting themselves. I have sent a final invoice requesting payment. This was sent certified with a deadline. The deadline has come & gone. I have called & am told that payment was sent. It has been three business days since they allegedly mailed payment. There is no proof that payment was mailed. I do not have a contract with these people, but do have a returned check (account closed, conveniently... later paid for that portion in cash). Is previous payment enough of a contract to legally bind them to paying me? I have all correspondence documented and even a voice mail saying that they are getting their check cashed and will get money to me. I don't know if I have enough proof to take them to small claims court or not, but would like to collect my money as quickly as possible and be done with these people.
Thank you for any advice you can give.

buildsouth

"Have Your Day!"

With the payment of check showing account closed is evidence that they know they owe you. You seem to have plenty of valid proof of bad faith on their part (recording, etc.) and more than enough to take to small claims court! Just make sure your recordings, paper trails...Are all in order then "Have Your Day!"
Best of Luck to you!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">