• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not paying legally

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wannaluvlife

What is the name of your state? CA
If a business a paying their employees "under the table" and not claiming all their taxes, where can this be reported to?

wannaluvlife

I know several employees that works there. They tell me about how they get paid cash. Everyday they split tips and it is never reported.

The agency would be the Dept. of Revenue. However, there's no way in hell you're gonna be able to prove it (especially if it's tips). You might get them to launch an investigation, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

wannaluvlife

I know it's cliche, but I am a tax paying citizen and pay my dues. Then there's businesses that runs illegally to milk all the money they can and the employees that are being paid under the table doesn't realize they are being neglected by not getting proper benefits if they were legit employees. Such as, health benefits. Am I paranoid or do you think reporting such incident is right?

wannaluvlife

What are you not believing? I just want to know where I can report an incident like this (if possibe). This business has been running for about 9 years now. And they are in the process of opening another shop. If I can try to stop this on going fraud I will do it one way w/ advice and info from this forum or elsewhere!! Thank you for your time.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Here's the problem.

Paying in cash is not illegal under the law, and you do not have any knowledge of what the company may be doing with regards to paying taxes. The only thing you know is that you have been told that the employees are paid in cash.

For another thing, health insurance benefits are not required under the law in any state except Hawaii, and only in some cases there.

wannaluvlife

I did not know that the employees are allowed to be paid cash and not be listed as an employee w/ the company. So it is legal to run a business and never claim the people who are working under you? Thanks for the info.

mlane58

wannaluvlife said:
I did not know that the employees are allowed to be paid cash and not be listed as an employee w/ the company. So it is legal to run a business and never claim the people who are working under you? Thanks for the info.
How do you know that they are not listed as employees with the company? Unless you are privy to that information, then you are just speculating.

fairisfair

wannaluvlife said:
So apparently you have spoken to each of these employees and have privy to their private financial information, for EXAMPLE you know for a fact that the company does not 1099 these employees at the end of the year? Oh, and I am sure that you have already informed your "friends" that when you turn in the company for their "illegal" business practices, that you will also be turning in any of your friends who are "working under the table" and not claiming this income on their own taxes. I just have to ask, how long ago did you work for them, and when did they fire you???

wannaluvlife

Thank for your assistance. I really thought that paying under the table was illegal. But since it's not, I will disregard this matter.

wannaluvlife

Now before we start speculating my life... No, I didn't work there, so I am not an irate person that is trying to get revenge. I just wanted to turn in this company for what I thought was illegal. But I got the advice already that it's not illeagl. Sorry for wasting your time. Maybe it's best I keep my mouth shut and let people fraud the system!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">