• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not reporting a child.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

acmb05

What is the name of your state? Tennessee
Trying to get information for a friend and I am not sure on this.

He is about to get SSDI and is due a rather large back payment(app. 4 years worth) He has 3 children with his wife and one by a girlfriend(long story) Anyway he does not want to add the child with girlfriend on his SS at this time. He wants to getthe check and then give the mother of the child a lump sum. I think this is a mistake and could come back to bite him.

If the mother of this child were to go to SS and file for benefits once he gets them would they come back on him and make him pay back some of his lump sum to give to the other child?

Say each child (based on the 3 children) gets 90 dollars a month. Then their back pay would be 4320 for the four years(give or take a few dollars) and if they base it on 4 children then they would get app. 68 dollars a month and the back pay would be 3264.

I think they would make him take the 3,264 the other child would have received and give it to the mother of that child. He thinks they would just ad the other child on and not make him pay any of the backpay to the mother.

I also think they may consider this fraud becasue he knows about the child and is the legal father of the child but does not want to add the child because he wants the bigger check at the beginning.

BL

The mother of his child should go to the nearest SS Office w/ proof , and ask the child be added now not later . She should tell the worker She sees what legal Father said .

Question
My brother had an accident at work last year and is now receiving Social Security disability benefits for himself, his wife, and daughter. Before his accident, he helped support another daughter by a woman to whom he has never been married. Is the second child entitled to some benefits as well?

Answer
Even though your brother wasn't married to the second child's mother, the child may qualify for Social Security benefits. An application should be filed on her behalf and if eligible, both children would receive equal benefits.

Last edited:

acmb05

The mother of his child should go to the nearest SS Office w/ proof , and ask the child be added now not later . She should tell the worker She sees what legal Father said .

Question
My brother had an accident at work last year and is now receiving Social Security disability benefits for himself, his wife, and daughter. Before his accident, he helped support another daughter by a woman to whom he has never been married. Is the second child entitled to some benefits as well?

Answer
Even though your brother wasn't married to the second child's mother, the child may qualify for Social Security benefits. An application should be filed on her behalf and if eligible, both children would receive equal benefits.
Thank you. This is what I told him could happen. Now I would assume that if the child is added AFTER he gets his first checks then that child would not be entitled to the back pay. So I should tell the mother to have the child added now instead of waiting and hoping she gets a cut of the first big check.

Honestly they are both friends of mine and I hate getting in the middle but I was asked by both on seperate occasions because they know I collect SS and they figured I would know. I don't want either of them to be mad but I also think he has an obligation to support his child and make sure the child gets what he deserves to get.

fairisfair

it is in everyone's best interest that the child is added now. Even the person receiving the check. Should he be caught having fraudulently completed the application, he would be facing fines and penalties, and might in fact even be denied benefits.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">