• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not sure if this is in the right spot.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

xeroa

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

I applied at a gas station, and was told I had the job pending a background check. 2 days later, they called and told me my background check came back no good, so I went to the store to talk to them. They said it came back with a Child Molestation charge, which is wrong, so I asked them to run it again. A couple days later they called again, and said it came back with the same results, but told me that the charge came from Indiana. I did some calling around, mostly being spun around by Illinois State Police, Indiana State Police, and Bureau of Identification, and eventually got another call from the gas station, where they told me the charge was from 1988. This made me laugh, because I was born in November of 1989.

Because of Illinois law (requires a certain kind of fingerprint card to get your criminal history, and it costs money to get printed), and having no money, I haven't been able to get any further into this until now. My constant calling for the last 2 weeks have finally gotten a reply, and a copy of the background check that the gas station had done on me will be waiting for me at the gas station on thursday. From this, I should be able to determine who is at fault for the false information (Indiana police, or the company who did the background check, which is located in Indiana). What I want to know is what kind of legal action I could take against whoever is at fault.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help, and if you need any more information I'll try to provide it, or find out.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
This is really not in the right place, but what the heck. The person you have a cause of action against is the person who knowingly and deliberately gave false information about you. NOT against anyone who simply reported what they found, or who may have made a clerical error in picking up the records of someone with the same or similar name.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">