• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not sure if this is the right forum.. but need help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

You Are Guilty

It would be up to the local PD whether to take any action on such a complaint. Probably nothing to lose by trying, though, especially if they have already upped their jerk-quotient.

I have a few minutes so I'll jump online to see if there's any published cases which may provide some insight. But this sort of thing is where one starts to consider "extra-legal" remedies, such as scheduling a meeting with Vito and Louie at midnight in an alley ;)

{edit}
Only had 10 minutes to look, but found a few cases with varied results. If nothing else, it gives a more focused picture of how these types of cases are viewed:
Mestel & Co., Inc. v. Smythe Masterson & Judd, Inc.
http://scholar.google.com/scholar_case?case=7750860583218000555&q=Mestel+%26+Co.,+Inc.+v.+Smythe+Masterson+%26+Judd,+Inc.&hl=en&as_sdt=2,33&as_vis=1

Sullivan v. Harnisch
http://case.lawmemo.com/ny/sullivan.htm

Willis of New York, Inc. v. DeFelice
http://scholar.google.com/scholar_case?case=2783891371184442369&hl=en&as_sdt=2&as_vis=1&oi=scholarr

Last edited:

ErinGoBragh

It would be up to the local PD whether to take any action on such a complaint. Probably nothing to lose by trying, though, especially if they have already upped their jerk-quotient.

I have a few minutes so I'll jump online to see if there's any published cases which may provide some insight. But this sort of thing is where one starts to consider "extra-legal" remedies, such as scheduling a meeting with Vito and Louie at midnight in an alley ;)

{edit}
Only had 10 minutes to look, but found a few cases with varied results. If nothing else, it gives a more focused picture of how these types of cases are viewed:
Mestel & Co., Inc. v. Smythe Masterson & Judd, Inc.
Mestel & Co., Inc. v. Smythe Masterson & Judd, Inc. - Google Scholar

Sullivan v. Harnisch
Sullivan v Harnisch (2010 NY Slip Op 09407)

Willis of New York, Inc. v. DeFelice
- Google Scholar
I was here to post on another situation and there was a fun little development with this yesterday, so I thought I'd update you to this one:

The employee cooked her own goose in a different matter.

Essentially, the employer uncovered some evidence that this employee was stealing money from the firm as well as purchasing certain items for her use at home. It went unnoticed until they brought someone new in to help sift through all of the tax information from last year and take over the billing- and this employee noticed many irregularities.

This is pretty ironic, since I did end up talking with a professor of mine who is a retired police chief about the ethics violations and the chances of me getting police aid on the grounds of harassment- and being told that, even with knowing him, there was probably nothing that could be done, since it wasn't really that extreme in his opinion.

The employer filed a police report yesterday, so we'll see what happens. But the amount is significant enough that the employee will likely be doing time in jail, so I guess this is chalked up to that wonderful old adage- what goes around, comes around!

quincy

I generally don't like to hear that someone has committed a crime but in your described situation, Erin, it does seem to be good news that this employee broke a law - and this time one that the state of New York actually recognizes. ;) :)

Thanks for the update.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">