• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not sure where this goes (discrimination)?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mtnstyne

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kansas

Bottom line, my 20 y/o son was at the local mall wearing a shirt purchased at the mall and was asked by mall security to either leave or turn-it inside out because they have a family environment. The shirt had a pot leaf on the front and again...was on display in a store in the same mall.

I know it is hypocritical, but is this just b.s. on their part or did they do something wrong? What if I go to the mall and have a tattoo of a pot leaf on my arm?

Thanks in advance.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kansas

Bottom line, my 20 y/o son was at the local mall wearing a shirt purchased at the mall and was asked by mall security to either leave or turn-it inside out because they have a family environment. The shirt had a pot leaf on the front and again...was on display in a store in the same mall.

I know it is hypocritical, but is this just b.s. on their part or did they do something wrong? What if I go to the mall and have a tattoo of a pot leaf on my arm?

Thanks in advance.
A mall is PRIVATE PROPERTY. They are allowed to ask that. They are allowed to refuse to allow ANYONE access to the shops and ask anyone to leave (provided it is not based upon protected statuses).

mtnstyne

A mall is PRIVATE PROPERTY. They are allowed to ask that. They are allowed to refuse to allow ANYONE access to the shops and ask anyone to leave (provided it is not based upon protected statuses).
So if I go in the mall and buy a shirt and stand next to the rack that others just like it are hanging on they can kick me out?

I understand it is private property but has public access so I am curious where the line is drawn between owners rights vs civil rights. I know there are protected statuses such as disabilities, race discrimiation, etc...could they decide to not allow patronage by anyone with say a tongue piercing? How about arm branding or certain tattoos or gold teeth? What if they said only men with high and tight hair cuts could get in and women all had to have thier hair pulled back in a pony tail?

It just seems like bad business but I guess that is thier choice. Thanks again.

I plan on opening a bar and randomly kicking out people just for kicks then...especially fat people.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
And if you do, unless you are located in either Michigan or DC (where weight is a protected characteristic) you will be within your rights.

However, the right to wear a shirt with a pot leaf on it is not a right protected by law.

Antigone*

So if I go in the mall and buy a shirt and stand next to the rack that others just like it are hanging on they can kick me out?

I understand it is private property but has public access so I am curious where the line is drawn between owners rights vs civil rights. I know there are protected statuses such as disabilities, race discrimiation, etc...could they decide to not allow patronage by anyone with say a tongue piercing? How about arm branding or certain tattoos or gold teeth? What if they said only men with high and tight hair cuts could get in and women all had to have thier hair pulled back in a pony tail?

It just seems like bad business but I guess that is thier choice. Thanks again.

I plan on opening a bar and randomly kicking out people just for kicks then...especially fat people.

You need to focus, and you can certainly expect to get little or no help from here on out. We don't appreciate ridicule from people when THEY are asking for assistance.

It is a shame mommy or daddy have to hand hold their 20-year old son. :rolleyes:. You and your pot leaf can go play on the freeway.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">