• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

not taking medication on mom's parenting time.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Isiah

What is the name of your state? MN

My step son is having some hard times taking his medication. When he visits his mom for parenting time, he has missed doses. Last weekend his mom decided that he didn't need to take it cause she felt he didn't need it. WE(myself and son) went to the dr today and it was stressed that the medicine NEEDs to be taken all times even at the mom's. The dr. said there should be consequences to son if he doesn't take it when he is over there. What is a fair consequence? Are there any legal aspects that need to addressed by the court for the mom interfering? Thank you for any advice.

CJane

Do the parents have joint-custody?
What's the medical issue?
What's the medication?
How old is the child?

casa

Isiah said:

My step son is having some hard times taking his medication. When he visits his mom for parenting time, he has missed doses. Last weekend his mom decided that he didn't need to take it cause she felt he didn't need it. WE(myself and son) went to the dr today and it was stressed that the medicine NEEDs to be taken all times even at the mom's. The dr. said there should be consequences to son if he doesn't take it when he is over there. What is a fair consequence? Are there any legal aspects that need to addressed by the court for the mom interfering? Thank you for any advice.
Depends on what medication you are talking about...and, how old is the child?

NotSoNew

Isiah said:

and what do you mean by consequences? punishment to the child?

Isiah

my huaband has..

full physical and legal custody of their child. as far as consequences.. I thought it may be weird to punish him for something his mother may be contributing to. He is on addreal for ADHD, but has a re-eval on Thursday because he is very depressed and he mentioned today to the DR. that he is hearing voices in his head.(that was the pychologist he told that to today). He is 12.

casa

Isiah said:
full physical and legal custody of their child. as far as consequences.. I thought it may be weird to punish him for something his mother may be contributing to. He is on addreal for ADHD, but has a re-eval on Thursday because he is very depressed and he mentioned today to the DR. that he is hearing voices in his head.(that was the pychologist he told that to today). He is 12.
OK, the problem with ADHD medication (legally) is that there are differing opinions on whether to medicate outside of school days. As a parent & President of an ADHD support group...it's much better to have the child's system stay 'equal'. ie; The ups & downs of having the medication & then not~ are not helpful emotionally/psychologically. The child's Dr. is obviously from the same school of thought, so I would ask that he write a letter to that effect...then Dad can advise Mom that if she does not comply with the medication regime- he will file to suspend/supervise visits.

It's not uncommon for pre-teen ADHD children to become depressed, they are a couple of years behind in social skills and this is a time when there is a rapid maturity rate in their peers...he may find himself more socially awkward than some of his peers & that can result in depression. I hope he is in counseling...and if he's not, now is a good time to start. (Dad also would benefit from a Professional's opinion re; the 'yo-yo' effect his visits with Mom are creating if/when it ever goes to court to modify visitations)

The voices in his head are concerning. I am glad he is having a re-eval. There are other disorders than can mimic ADHD...but are actually more serious.

A good support system of Doctor, counselor and parents will greatly improve his ability to deal with all the issues he's going through right now.

If you have any more questions- feel free to Personal Message me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">