• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not told you were suspended or fired!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

If it were always illegal to retaliate against any action, then if you set fire to the supervisor's desk it would be illegal to fire you for it.

I understand that you desperately want this to be illegal in some way. Do you understand that it isn't?

PS - Everything I can find says that family status is protected with regards to housing, but not for employment purposes. That is the case in many states.
Just as an FYI, the human relations act I cited covers employer and housing.

You've been helpful, so I won't set fire to your desk.

If you are interested, here is the link:
http://www.phrc.state.pa.us/legal/forms/Laws READ.pdf

I was not planning an all out law suit. I was planning on a district justice civil suit.

I guess I cannot understand how it is not illegal. It causes not only financial harm to a person, but, personal and emotional harm to myself and my family, why is an employer above that? I guess I'll just have to keep on movin' on as always. I am irked over the past 4.5 years of hard work and genuine care about the business I have put in. These are people I considered friends and when they know I am at a low in my family life, they just ripped out the final rug. I'll just hope what goes around comes around.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You have no basis for ANY kind of lawsuit.

I will acknowledge that it appears the law has been updated since my cheat sheet was published. However, before you can file ANY kind of lawsuit, there has to have been a law violated.

No matter how hard you try to stretch it, there has not been a legal violation.

You have NO evidence to support a claim that he is not scheduling you because of your family status. It is NOT illegal to "retaliate" against you for resigning your other job. There is NO law that requires him to formally notify you of a suspension or firing.

Would it have been better for him to notify you? Of course. Was it rude to fail to do so? Yes. Did he violate any laws by not notifying you? NO. HE DID NOT.

ecmst12

It's not illegal because there is only a very short list of things that are illegal in employment law, and this ain't on it. In the US, bosses still have the legal right to be a-holes if they want to be.

Aren't you better off getting away from that jerk anyway? Quit stressing yourself over what he SHOULD have done and count your blessings.

las365

If you want to know why the employer says you were terminated, file for unemployment for the restaurant portion of your job. If he disputes your entitlement to unemployment benefits, he will have to provide his version of why you were fired or why he claims you quit both jobs. I hope you have a copy of your letter in which you made it clear you weren't quitting both jobs.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">