• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Notice of Case Management-Divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

szb2014

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania and Florida...my daughter, who lives in Pennsylvania, received a notice of case management from her soon to be ex-husband, who lives in Florida. What is this and what is expected of her? She cannot afford to travel to Florida as she has two young daughters (who are the husband's children as well). He has filed for divorce in Florida but the papers contain inaccuracies. She has been awarded full custody and child support by a Pennsylvania judge with supervised visits permitted for the husband at his expense. Can she have the original divorce filing papers voided as they contain false information so she can refile for divorce in Pennsylvania where she is living?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania and Florida...my daughter, who lives in Pennsylvania, received a notice of case management from her soon to be ex-husband, who lives in Florida. What is this and what is expected of her? She cannot afford to travel to Florida as she has two young daughters (who are the husband's children as well). He has filed for divorce in Florida but the papers contain inaccuracies. She has been awarded full custody and child support by a Pennsylvania judge with supervised visits permitted for the husband at his expense. Can she have the original divorce filing papers voided as they contain false information so she can refile for divorce in Pennsylvania where she is living?
I'm sorry, but she is going to need to handle this herself. You are an uninvolved third party (aka: a legal stranger). There will be questions that you simply don't have the answer to. Thank you for your gracious understanding.

LdiJ

I'm sorry, but she is going to need to handle this herself. You are an uninvolved third party (aka: a legal stranger). There will be questions that you simply don't have the answer to. Thank you for your gracious understanding.
I am going to actually expand on this a bit and give some info that I think is critical. I don't think that internet message forums are the way to go for your daughter in this instance. PA has taken jurisdiction of the custody issues regarding the children and now the soon to be ex husband is attempting to have Florida maybe kind of override that. I think that if you want to do something to help your daughter, that you need to help her hire an attorney in FL to properly respond to the divorce case that her husband has filed.

It is possible that while FL might have jurisdiction to handle the actual divorce, that perhaps child custody issues should not be part of that divorce if PA has taken jurisdiction and entered child custody orders. If that is the case then it would be beyond foolish for your daughter not to be represented by an attorney in FL.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I am going to actually expand on this a bit and give some info that I think is critical. I don't think that internet message forums are the way to go for your daughter in this instance. PA has taken jurisdiction of the custody issues regarding the children and now the soon to be ex husband is attempting to have Florida maybe kind of override that. I think that if you want to do something to help your daughter, that you need to help her hire an attorney in FL to properly respond to the divorce case that her husband has filed.

It is possible that while FL might have jurisdiction to handle the actual divorce, that perhaps child custody issues should not be part of that divorce if PA has taken jurisdiction and entered child custody orders. If that is the case then it would be beyond foolish for your daughter not to be represented by an attorney in FL.
She never said the Florida court is trying to override or take control of custody. She said her daughter's husband SUED for DIVORCE which he legally can do in Florida. If hubby has lived there long enough then Florida has jurisdiction over the divorce. She didn't say ANYTHING about the fact that he was suing for custody. The paperwork in Florida is NOT going to be voided. She -- the daughter -- can argue against Florida having jurisdiction over custody and maybe even some property issues but NOT the divorce itself if hubby has lived there long enough.

LdiJ

She never said the Florida court is trying to override or take control of custody. She said her daughter's husband SUED for DIVORCE which he legally can do in Florida. If hubby has lived there long enough then Florida has jurisdiction over the divorce. She didn't say ANYTHING about the fact that he was suing for custody. The paperwork in Florida is NOT going to be voided. She -- the daughter -- can argue against Florida having jurisdiction over custody and maybe even some property issues but NOT the divorce itself if hubby has lived there long enough.
Grandma wasn't clear at all about what the FL paperwork said, but I suspect that custody issues are the concern.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Grandma wasn't clear at all about what the FL paperwork said, but I suspect that custody issues are the concern.
Well since grandma has no rights at all and is not a party and seems clueless about what was filed, your post may mislead grandma especially with comments such as:
now the soon to be ex husband is attempting to have Florida maybe kind of override that.
That comment by you was not based ON ANYTHING the OP stated. Maybe ex husband just wants a divorce. A divorce (which is all OP said was filed) does not override custody in another state. Daughter needs an attorney in Florida and should not rely on what grandma is saying quite frankly.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">