• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Notice of Medical Support Enforcement Activity in Ohio

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Glob

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

My son turned 18 in June, 2009. I am the custodial parent. We divorced 15 years ago. I cannot find my original divorce papers, so I don't know what the original child support orders actually are. (Can I find them online?)

My son has Cerebral Palsy. He has had what I considered "health insurance" since almost the day he was born in the form of Medicare (SSI) and secondary pay from Ohio Bureau for Children with Medical Handicaps (BCMH). 3 weeks ago, I received a letter stating that I needed to provide health insurance for my son and that a letter was sent to my employer forcing them to make me pay for insurance for him. My employer doesn't offer insurance.

I called them (CSEA), and told the gentleman on the phone that my son has insurance in the form mentioned above (Medicare and BCMH) He said "ok" and he would make a note of it.

A few days later the letter to my employer arrived, and I called again to ask them if they could send or fax something to my employer so he didn't have to fill out the paper and send it back to them. The woman on the phone at that time told me that the "health insurance" that I had wasn't actually health insurance, and that it was "government assistance" and I still had to get health insurance according to the medical order. When I told her that my employer didn't offer health insurance, she told me "just have your employer fill out the letter stating that and send it back".

Just today, I got ANOTHER letter from CSEA that is a carbon copy of the first letter I got except the date is different. Bascially stating that I am ordered to buy health insurance for my son and that a letter is being sent to my employer telling them that if they offer insurance, then I was to be enrolled. It's almost as if they didn't get the first letter from my boss telling them my employer doesn't offer insurance.

After all that, I guess I'm asking for advice on either who to call, what words to use to inform them that my son is fully covered for all health costs. Also, since he is 18 now, but still in high school, does that mean anything? I work during the hours that they are open, so it's very inconvenient for me to actually get in contact with them. I only have 30 minutes for lunch, and both times I've called so far I was on hold for most of that time.

Thank you for reading this, and for any opinions and advice.

Mike

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Child support goes to the age of 19 in the state of Ohio if the child is still in high school UNLESS the child is severely disabled and then it could end up being lifetime support of some sort. The issue with medical insurance is that you must provide it if it was available at reasonable cost -- less than 5% your gross income. The letters could have passed in the mail.

Glob

Thank you for the answer to the age question.

Monday morning found another letter at my employer's office. This was many more pages than the first one he recieved, but since there is no insurance offered, the reply was basically the same. He filled out the box that stated there is no insurance offered and sent it back.

I guess I'm confused on WHY (after 15 years) I'm being hounded to BUY health insurance when he is already medically covered. He's the only one in the family that has medical covered. And I guess I just wanted someone to confirm or deny that because he has CareSource AND BCMH, why wouldn't that count as his health insurance? And finally, what steps would I need to take to get a judge, or whoever to review my child support medical responsibility and possibly have what he already has as fulfilling the requirement.

Again, thanks,
Mike

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You may find that your child support goes up due to the fact that you will have to pay cash medical.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
OP is the custodial parent. Therefore OP isn't paying any child support.
Ohio is a shared income state. When the child is insured by the state there is a cash medical amount added to the overall cost that is split between the parents. Therefore he WOULD be paying cash medical. As would his ex.

CJane

Ohio is a shared income state. When the child is insured by the state there is a cash medical amount added to the overall cost that is split between the parents. Therefore he WOULD be paying cash medical. As would his ex.
But his child support (obligation) isn't going to go up.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">