• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Notification at completion of probation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jwd

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)California

Will the county or probation department send me any official notification at the completion of my probation?

Back in 2010 I was sentenced to three years probation. About a year ago I asked a clerk at the probation office to tell me the exact day that my probation began, and the exact day when it was scheduled to end. She checked her computer and told me that it is scheduled to end on 10/4/2013.

Now I know the obvious answer is "Ask your probation officer", but during my three years on probation I have never even spoken to my PO on the phone, much less met her in person. Our local Probation Department has a heavy caseload and I am clearly not a high priority. I've tried to ask my PO a few questions by calling her but she has never returned my calls.

I have never had any violations, no contacts with police, and during the past three years I haven't once been stopped by a cop for a traffic violation or even received a parking ticket.

If I don't receive any official notification should I just assume that my probation is over on the date given to me by the probation clerk?

Last edited:

Jwd

Are you planning on doing something that would violation your probation?
Not at all. Like I said, I've been on probation for three years now (my original sentence of probation) without any sort of issues or violations, and my probation is scheduled to end in 14 days. If I wasn't inclined to violate my probation during the past three years, I'm certainly not planning on committing a violation in the last 14 days.

My question is, will I receive some sort of official notification informing me that my probation is completed, thereby letting me know that I no longer need to comply with the terms of my probation. Like not leaving the county or state without permission, reporting any contact with cops, reporting any change of address, etc, etc.

lawbird

You may of may not receive something from the prob. Dept. like you said they have a heavy caseload. furthermore, if they haven't had the time to even make contact with you for 3 years now I doubt they will take the time to write a courtesy letter informing you your probation has expired. If the lady said it expires on 10/4 you can probably safely assume you're off probation. However if you really need to know call the probation office or show up in person and ask to speak with a supervisor or a duty agent, Tell them you plan on taking a vacation and don't want to be violated for leaving the jurisdiction without permission. Best of luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">