• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Now paying how to pay back pay?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Kentucky
I have posted on here recently and I have one more question. I owe 16,000 in back child support and I finally got me a part time job making 10 a hour. I'm going to start making the 200 monthly payments but as far as the back pay that I owe how does that work as far as paying for that? Thanks

CJane

You really need to discuss that with the caseworker at CSE. I know that in my case, my exBF is paying child support + 10% every month. But he's only $1500 in arrears - with the significant amount you owe and considering you've never made an effort to pay, it may be much different. BUT - paying JUST the ordered amount right now would at least keep you from falling further behind, and that's a good thing.

MrsK

Usually CSE orders a parent to pay a certain percentage of arrears every month or something like $50-100 a month towards the arrears on top of the support until its paid off. And they may also intercept any tax returns you may get to help pay off the arrears.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You are also, quite likely, incurring interest charges also. As mentioned before, contact the CSE about this - in order to keep the arrearages from *growing*, you need to pay the current amount due, plus, at least, the amount of interest accruing each month.

ceara19

You are also, quite likely, incurring interest charges also. As mentioned before, contact the CSE about this - in order to keep the arrearages from *growing*, you need to pay the current amount due, plus, at least, the amount of interest accruing each month.
Kentucky State Revenue Office charges 12% (compound) interest on arrears.

Okay thank you so much you guys it takes alot off my mine and makes me not think about jail or anything of that sort. I Love you all and Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas. God Bless

ceara19

Okay thank you so much you guys it takes alot off my mine and makes me not think about jail or anything of that sort. I Love you all and Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas. God Bless
Just make sure that ALL payments are sent through CSE. Otherwise, you won't receive credit for the money. Start sending in the payments for current support AND as much extra money as you can afford each month. Stay current and make regular payments on the arrears and you will keep yourself out of jail. More importantly, get your lie in order and start being a FATHER to your child. You being an involved parent and a good influence is more valuable to the child then ANY amount of money ever could be.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">