• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Nullification of deed restrictions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Leetyyyzzz

If I file a document stating that I as the owner of a property am nullifying the deed restrictions of said property because they have been historically ignored, will that cause any future liability on my part? TX USA

LdiJ

If I file a document stating that I as the owner of a property am nullifying the deed restrictions of said property because they have been historically ignored, will that cause any future liability on my part? TX USA
I agree with the previous response you received. There just isn't enough information here to formulate an opinion and an attorney, who can review the deed and the restrictions would be in a better position to advise you. Otherwise the only possible answer to your question is "it depends".

adjusterjack

I have some experience studying deed restrictions with regard to about a dozen properties I looked at before deciding on the home that I bought.

For general information, some guesswork, and guidance, if you are in a subdivision where all of the homes have the same deed restrictions (you can check the county recorder) then it is likely that filing such a document will not nullify the deed restrictions.

If you want more comments than that, you are welcome to post a copy of the deed restrictions.

Otherwise, as others have suggested, consult an attorney.

Last edited:

zddoodah

Facts and context matter, and you provided none. Unless you do so, the only conceivable intelligent response we can offer is to suggest consultation with a local attorney.

quincy

https://texaslawhelp.org/article/removing-discriminatory-provisions-from-deeds#:~text=Racially discriminatory deed restrictions are,can order such provisions removed.

The above is a link to Texas Law Help on removing a discriminatory provision from a deed, which I understand may not be the type of deed restriction you are hoping to nullify - but Texas Law Help might be an organization that can assist you or direct you to help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">