• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Nurse lied about visiting patient caused treatment delay.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
When it didn't improve the morning after your application of Neosporin, why didn't you take her to the doctor or contact the nurse again?
That's one of the "problems" with hospice... The terms of care mean all other services are terminated. Going to the ER or to the doctor w/o approval of hospice terminates their involvement. They are your pipeline to medical care, emergency services, medications (usually only comfort care), etc. Even when the patient passes. you call hospice. Not emergency services, not the police. Hospice. And they handle everything from there.

And, of course, each provider (and their staff) is different - some more responsive than others. I was very lucky. Heck - we're six+ months on, and they *still* call me to offer grief support.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Getting antibiotics several days sooner probably would have stopped the sepsis from setting in or not being near as bad.
It's possible. Did you take your concerns up the chain - call the hospice provider directly? Look, believe me, I understand. But dementia is extremely unpredictable. Even without the infection, she could have taken an extreme downturn. I'm sorry. Follow the advice of others in terms of how to proceed, but understand that the nature of this disease is unpredictable and cruel 9as are most terminal illnesses). This might be the time to turn your energies towards making the most of the time you have left.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
That's one of the "problems" with hospice... The terms of care mean all other services are terminated. Going to the ER or to the doctor w/o approval of hospice terminates their involvement. They are your pipeline to medical care, emergency services, medications (usually only comfort care), etc. Even when the patient passes. you call hospice. Not emergency services, not the police. Hospice. And they handle everything from there.

And, of course, each provider (and their staff) is different - some more responsive than others. I was very lucky. Heck - we're six+ months on, and they *still* call me to offer grief support.
I apologize then. I was ignorant of this information.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Not to be presumptuous... have you considered looking into any ALZ/dementia support groups? You may find such helpful.

racincrazy

It's possible. Did you take your concerns up the chain - call the hospice provider directly? Look, believe me, I understand. But dementia is extremely unpredictable. Even without the infection, she could have taken an extreme downturn. I'm sorry. Follow the advice of others in terms of how to proceed, but understand that the nature of this disease is unpredictable and cruel 9as are most terminal illnesses). This might be the time to turn your energies towards making the most of the time you have left.
Yes I did call the case manager and the head nurse practitioner a couple of days later when she was getting worse. That is when I was told to start her on the morphine. If it wasn't for the bath girl explaining logbook to me I wouldn't have known the nurse misled me about visiting her. Every time someone from the hospice company visits they have to fill out and sign the book. Every month the manager stops by and scans the page that is their time card and how they get paid. There was a entry for the bath girl on the 9th and Chaplin signed the next line on the 15th. The nurse said she came on the 12th but had to write her name between those two kind of like back dating it. I hope that made sense. I wish I could show the image of what it looked like when she told me it was ok. Maybe I am just looking for someone else to blame for her suffering like that. I really appreciate the help. Thanks

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Isn't it also possible that she poke her head in very quickly and forgot to log it in, then came back later and corrected her mistake?

racincrazy

Isn't it also possible that she poke her head in very quickly and forgot to log it in, then came back later and corrected her mistake?
Anything is possible. But her hand and forearm was purple and swelled up like the arms on Popeye I am not sure if photo links are allowed or not photos.app.goo.gl/LXTFJSJfNSbGZbBD6 please delete if they are

quincy

Anything is possible. But her hand and forearm was purple and swelled up like the arms on Popeye I am not sure if photo links are allowed or not photos.app.goo.gl/LXTFJSJfNSbGZbBD6 please delete if they are
There are a number of reasons why your mom’s wound could have become worse over a short period of time, including perhaps your mother scratching at it, but I agree that the hand, as it appears in the photo, required serious and immediate medical attention. Certainly it looks like more was necessary than neosporin and fresh bandages.

You unfortunately don’t know exactly what the hand was like when the nurse visited your mother. The condition of the hand at the time of the visit might not have alarmed the nurse.

Whatever the case, I suggest you take what you do know to be true to a medical malpractice attorney in your area for a personal review. The attorney can help you get access to your mom’s medical records. The initial consultation you have with the attorney should be free.

racincrazy

There are a number of reasons why your mom’s wound could have become worse over a short period of time, including perhaps your mother scratching at it, but I agree that the hand, as it appears in the photo, required serious and immediate medical attention. Certainly it looks like more was necessary than neosporin and fresh bandages.

You unfortunately don’t know exactly what the hand was like when the nurse visited your mother. The condition of the hand at the time of the visit might not have alarmed the nurse.

Whatever the case, I suggest you take what you do know to be true to a medical malpractice attorney in your area for a personal review. The attorney can help you get access to your mom’s medical records. The initial consultation you have with the attorney should be free.
That photo was taken two days before the nurse supposedly came. It was darker on that day and about three more days before the chaplain came and called in the head nurse came by. I think I will try to find a attorney to talk with. Thank you

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I do think that talking to a lawyer is your best bet.

And I agree - that hand/arm was well past Neosporin and a bandage. Still, hindsight is 20/20 and that can't be changed now. See what a lawyer or three say, once you've provided the most accurate information you have.

And please - do seek out some support. Dementia does a number on you - whether you're a caregiver or your LO is in a facility. It helps to know you're not alone. (If you're on social media, there are some good support pages on FaceBook. If you're interested, I can steer you to the ones I used.)

quincy

That photo was taken two days before the nurse supposedly came. It was darker on that day and about three more days before the chaplain came and called in the head nurse came by. I think I will try to find a attorney to talk with. Thank you
I can see a few reasons why any attorney(s) you see might not want to handle a case of the sort that presents itself here - but going over the facts with a med-mal attorney can at least let you know better whether you have good reason to file complaints against those who were tasked with looking after your mom.

I am sorry you are going through all of this with your mom. I hope some easier days are ahead for both of you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">