• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NYC No Parking signs.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

About six months ago, I received a parking ticket at a "no parking school days". I was found "not guilty" because the sign was invalid.

About a month ago, I got so pissed at the big yellow buses for parking illegally where cars are supposed to park, that I intentionally parked in front of their school illegally as well. This is where I work every day and I can never find a parking spot because of them. I defended myself and beat the ticket by gambling a defense that the "sign is invalid".

Now that I beat two tickets with this defense, my question is what is the "formula" (for lack of a better word at the moment) to know if a sign is valid or not? Do the schools or building owners need to reapply every year for the signs to remain in effect?

HomeGuru

About six months ago, I received a parking ticket at a "no parking school days". I was found "not guilty" because the sign was invalid.

About a month ago, I got so pissed at the big yellow buses for parking illegally where cars are supposed to park, that I intentionally parked in front of their school illegally as well. This is where I work every day and I can never find a parking spot because of them. I defended myself and beat the ticket by gambling a defense that the "sign is invalid".

Now that I beat two tickets with this defense, my question is what is the "formula" (for lack of a better word at the moment) to know if a sign is valid or not? Do the schools or building owners need to reapply every year for the signs to remain in effect?
**A: no they do not need to apply every year.

We have no idea. How would we know? We weren't there in court and we don't have the details of your case... ask the judge.
Let me rephrase the question... Is there a way for me to know if a sign is valid or not by looking it up somewhere on nyc's website?

You Are Guilty

What exactly do you mean by "valid"? Any sign erected by NYC is technically "valid". (If it was put up by a private person or entity, i.e. school, it is invalid).

However, the DOT keeps a database of all city signs - date erected, placement, etc. But you have to make a specific request to them to for a certain location, you can't search it yourself.

What exactly do you mean by "valid"? Any sign erected by NYC is technically "valid". (If it was put up by a private person or entity, i.e. school, it is invalid).
I will tell you that I simply tried my luck and defended myself via internet. I typed "The sign was invalid." That was it. I said nothing more than that. I was found not guilty based on that claim. In which case, I have no clue what I mean when I say "valid". What I do know is that I made the same claim twice and was found not guilty on two differnet signs and I can't believe I was found not guilty.

However, the DOT keeps a database of all city signs - date erected, placement, etc. But you have to make a specific request to them to for a certain location, you can't search it yourself.
Thank you so much for the info. From now on, I will ask the DOT before I make my defense.

You Are Guilty

Thank you so much for the info. From now on, I will ask the DOT before I make my defense.

You can do it via 311 - just tell them you need a street sign verification. (Technically, its a Freedom of Information Law request to the NYC DOT general counsel/law department, but everyone will know what you're talking about).

You Are Guilty

I called 311. They told me that I need to mail my request to :

DOT FOIL Office
40 worth St. 9th Fl
NY, NY 10013
Uh, that's what I said (you didn't ask where to mail it). Results can take a while (6-8 weeks), but you can almost always get an adjournment if you go to the PVB and tell them you have a pending DOT request.

FYI - FOIL (Freedom of Information Law) is for NYS, FIOA is for federal requests. And the alliteration is free :)

I got the reply from the FOIL office.

It was about 10 wide pages for a simple question; I cant even scan them normally. I barely understand what is written.

I think I figured the jumble out. The signs on that block were valid. My only question is how can I get them changed? In short, the buildings are rarely used and the signs are "no parking anytime" taking up a whole avenue block

patstew

I think I figured the jumble out. The signs on that block were valid. My only question is how can I get them changed? In short, the buildings are rarely used and the signs are "no parking anytime" taking up a whole avenue block
Typically something like the city council sets the parking ordinances. In my town, you just write to them and ask for it to be changed -- they may or may not do it, depending on the reason for it being marked "no parking" in the first place -- and it may not be that simple in NYC.

You Are Guilty

Is anything?

My understanding is that although the DOT has jurisdiction, they won't take action based solely on a citizen's complaint - it needs to come from authorized channels. I'd suggest speaking to your local councilperson and filing the complaint with them. (It seems like they tend to have nothing else to do with their time, so they're pretty good about responding to complaints).

It also helps if you have a mini-petition, or at least letters from neighbors, also complaining. Remember, more votes = more action!

DontDentMyCar

I was reading this thread regarding No Parking at Schools and thought I should add what happened at PS372 in Brooklyn 2 years ago:

A first grader was excited to see his school bus pulling up so he ran between illegally parked cars and had his legs crushed by the bus.

I find it a little disturbing that some are more concerned with beating a ticket at a school than with the safety of children. You're supposed to be responsible adults.

Sorry for reviving an old thread.

The DOT parking sign map: http://nycdot.info/dotmap/
You'll have to verify the sign information (using the question mark once you've selected the radio button for signs) with what is actually posted as I did see a discrepancy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">