• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NYC Parking Ticket without receiving one

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Went to pay for a camera violation and saw I was issued a parked in a bus stop violation a few weeks ago; I remember the incident as it was raining heavily and the traffic cop car was behind me, but no one actually got out of the vehicle and gave me a ticket. My hazards were on and I was making a delivery, I watched the whole thing and when I returned to the car the traffic cop had still not exited the vehicle and given me a ticket. Is this a reasonable defense to beat a bus ticket in nyc?

If so, can I apply this to camera violations, as an image of the violation cannot be pulled up when clicking on the view image button.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Went to pay for a camera violation and saw I was issued a parked in a bus stop violation a few weeks ago; I remember the incident as it was raining heavily and the traffic cop car was behind me, but no one actually got out of the vehicle and gave me a ticket. My hazards were on and I was making a delivery, I watched the whole thing and when I returned to the car the traffic cop had still not exited the vehicle and given me a ticket. Is this a reasonable defense to beat a bus ticket in nyc?
No.

If so, can I apply this to camera violations, as an image of the violation cannot be pulled up when clicking on the view image button.
Apples & oranges.

Zigner

Looking at your posting history, you seem to have quite a problem with obeying the traffic laws. You may wish to evaluate this problem and find a way to correct it.

Looking at your posting history, you seem to have quite a problem with obeying the traffic laws. You may wish to evaluate this problem and find a way to correct it.
I'm a delivery driver for Emergency Management, if you think our job can be done circling the block 20 times looking for a parking spot, I highly encourage you to apply

Zigner

I'm a delivery driver for Emergency Management, if you think our job can be done circling the block 20 times looking for a parking spot, I highly encourage you to apply
Interesting. You use your personal vehicle for these deliveries. If these are truly within the course of your employment, they should be paid by your employer.

Interesting. You use your personal vehicle for these deliveries. If these are truly within the course of your employment, they should be paid by your employer.
It’s my company vehicle. They cover double parking that’s it. They should cover everything, I am glad we agree. You will have to speak to my boss Alvin on that lmao

adjusterjack

I watched the whole thing and when I returned to the car the traffic cop had still not exited the vehicle and given me a ticket. Is this a reasonable defense to beat a bus ticket in nyc?
See if there is a rule that tickets have to be served within a certain number of days or they have to be dismissed. If not, then no parking is no parking. You got out of your vehicle. You were parked.

They cover double parking that’s it.
Then double park. Don't park in bus stops.

Zigner

If it's your company vehicle, that means they would receive the ticket since they are the registered owner.

doucar

This one actually went to the NY Supreme Court:
You do realize that this was an appeal from a court not of record, traffic court, to a trial court, a court of record. The top appellate court in New York is the Court of Appeals?

quincy

The New York Supreme Court is not the highest court in New York. The Supreme Court is a trial court.

Despite doucar’s “?” he is right. The Court of Appeals is the highest court in New York.

This is different from other states, where the Supreme Court is the highest court. You Are Guilty pointed this out to me years ago (more than once, I think). :)

zddoodah

This one actually went to the NY Supreme Court
In New York, supreme courts are primarily trial level courts, so saying that a case "went to the NY Supreme Court" doesn't make much sense since there are over 60 supreme courts in New York, and a case going to one of them isn't particularly notable. The highest level court in New York is the New York Court of Appeals. The opinion to which you provided a link was issued by the Supreme Court for New York County (i.e., Manhattan) on appeal from a decision by the City of New York Department of Finance Parking Violations Bureau. Still might be useful to the OP, though.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">