• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NYC Tickets

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Officeadmin601

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

Hello,
While in NYC I received two parking tickets at the same time.

- no std com mtr zone days/hrs mon-fri 8am-6pm for $115.00

and

- Unaltered Comm Vehicle for $115.00

I parked my vehicle at 12:18pm received both tickets at 12:27pm

My vehicle is a 2020 Ford Ranger with rear seats. It is a personal vehicle.
My vehicle is registered as a truck in PA (not commercial vehicle)
How should I proceed with ticket disputes.

Thanks

LdiJ

Are there no instructions on the tickets?

Why do you say "disputes" (plural)? What defense do you believe you have to the first defense mentioned?
Its difficult to interpret the shorthand used but I think that both tickets were referring to commercial vehicles.

quincy

A guess: Your first ticket appears to be for parking in a no standing zone, reserved for commercial vehicles. The other ticket is for parking an unmarked commercial vehicle in a commercial zone.

If I am close to being right (no guarantees), one of the two tickets could be dismissed. You would have to pay only one $115 fine.

Call the department to find out.

FlyingRon

Was there anything about your truck that would have indicated it was commercial? A business name? Anything?

quincy

Was there anything about your truck that would have indicated it was commercial? A business name? Anything?
It sounds like the truck was parked illegally in a commercial zone so one of the tickets is probably valid.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Unaltered commercial vehicle not unmarked.

One of these should be dismissed. One is for parking a non-commercial vehicle in commercial metered parking and one is for what is basically an improperly equipped commercial vehicle - I'm guessing because you have rear seats and commercial vehicles are not allowed to have those.

So in essence one is for a non-commercial vehicle and one is for a commercial vehicle - your pickup can't be both.

You are clearly guilty of the first one. Follow the procedures for adjudicating the NoVs and make your case and one should get dismissed. You can adjudicate them online as far as I remember.

quincy

Unaltered commercial vehicle not unmarked.

One of these should be dismissed. One is for parking a non-commercial vehicle in commercial metered parking and one is for what is basically an improperly equipped commercial vehicle - I'm guessing because you have rear seats and commercial vehicles are not allowed to have those.

So in essence one is for a non-commercial vehicle and one is for a commercial vehicle - your pickup can't be both.

You are clearly guilty of the first one. Follow the procedures for adjudicating the NoVs and make your case and one should get dismissed. You can adjudicate them online as far as I remember.
Hey. My guess was pretty close. :)

I am happy to see you back, HighwayMan.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
It would be nice if states were close to being on the same page with registrations. Not that many states have commercial registrations - and I'm not sure what the criteria are for a "truck" registration in PA.

Back when I was working if I saw a PA vehicle with "truck" plates on a parkway I'd stop it assuming it was commercial. Based upon a talk with the driver I'd be able to figure out what to do with it.

Parking, especially in Manhattan, with an uncommon registration type like "truck" (or a Connecticut "combination" registration" ) is fraught with all kinds of potential problems.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">