• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Oakland California has my car.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

juvix8888

Can the hold be lifted. prior to 30 days. and gun permit ?'s where to?.....Ive drove family's cars without registration in my name all over metro detroit and never had them say it cant be moved if its not in my name. And my license was fine only when i returned here (CA) was it an issue. Either way registration is not the issue at hand. Stopped pointing out what wasn't done in a timely fashion. When the issue is one valid license one suspended and that one will be cleared asap.

CdwJava

Michigan doesn't give a damn. I have lived there a long time and have an exemplary driving record there. Only in this county have I had these issues.
But, if the suspension is one for which Michigan would also suspnd your license for, if they are notified then your license there could also be suspended.

The arresting officer would know where the hell my phone went, yes that would help. As well as giving up a report and the reason I was pulled over, to begin with. These would all help at the impound hearing. I was looking into that.
The arresting officer does not have to give up a report to you at all. You can ask the records division, but be prepared for them to say, "No."

As for your phone, was it left in the car? Was it on you when arrested? If so, it is likely still with the car or it is in evidence or safekeeping. You don't need to speak with the arresting officer to ask about that. call the agency and ask if they can track down your phone, and give them the circumstances.

This was a complete misunderstanding. I had no idea my CA license would be under suspension.
You are free to use that at your impound hearing. Be sure to have at least two licensed drivers on standby in case they release your car - one to drive you around, and another to drive your car off the lot where it is stored.

However, being here i can go get my license cleared in this state because that one ticket (for no front plate) is waivable, I'm pretty sure given the circumstances.
You are probably right. Unfortunately, can you get a court hearing inside of 30 days?

CdwJava

Can the hold be lifted. prior to 30 days. and gun permit ?'s where to?
Yes, it can be lifted. As I mentioned, ask for the impound storage hearing with the impounding agency. The registered owner of the car can ask that the hold be lifted. Or, you can get your license status cleared and they will have to release it.

As for the gun permit ... what's THAT about? What does that have to do with this situation????

juvix8888

It is not one for which mi suspends my license. they in fact said my mi license is valid when we went to the precinct. W e went there asking for records and for evidence. My phone was on me. It was on the police mans cars when i was searched. It was not in evidence when we went to the precinct. They say the arresting officer would know if it went in the car....because it was not submitted as evidence. However they would only leave messages for him and he has not returned my many calls. The said that he could appear or write a statement for the hearing. I can go to traffic court as early as tomorrow they said.

juvix8888

My friend is with me and he wants to get on here when im done and would like to know where to post a ? about getting a CCW

CdwJava

What kind of CCW question does he have? CCWs are issued by local agencies or by counties, the rules vary by county. What county is he looking to reside in?

As for the car, unless a citation was issued, charges for the drugs were pursued, and a week or two has passed, the court will have no information about this matter at all. The registered owner has standing at the impound hearing, not you. if the registered owner can convince the police hearing officer that YOU are to act as their representative, then you can stand in. Otherwise, you have no standing at all at the impound hearing.

juvix8888

I was trying to be curtious as to not post in the wrong place. I thought id ask while i had you on the line......but the precinct has been no help at all. they wouldnt even check evidence until my second trip down there and I demanded they run my name to assure my mi license was valid and that i had nothing on my record that would be a surprise reason for my car. Which they finally did and then said oh its not in evidence well contact the officer when he comes in and it has been a week. So they do the hearing . Well I will call and setone up asap. But shouldnt I be allowed a copy of a report since i was arrested in it. I should be able to view evidence against me and address my accusers shouldn't I?

juvix8888

okay well cdw youve been most helpful sofar. Hearing Ill set it up with the girl. And Ill clear my license up. And try and see what we can do at that time she could at least obtain my property from car and hopefully phone is there. As for contacting the pofficer I'll look more into regulations on that thanks though.

juvix8888

Hi Im the friend. My question is about CCW permits. I thought they were state wide thpough. But I was arrested for a felony (dont say i cant right away) in mi 5 years ago. I was tried and issued a sentence called HYTA (home Youthful Trainee Act) in Michigan. It issues you a sentence that can include jail (generally just probation), treament, probation, or all of the above. It is only for first time felony offenders between ages 17-21 in michigan and non violent offense only. Upon completion the charge is thrown out no conviction issued. I completed it had my name run and i have no record for felonies. I also recieved a letter stating that my fingerprints would be destroyed within 30 days. This was after i completed the sentence. I dont know if the arrest record was entirely destroyed or not though. However On theose circumstances may a be eligible to participate in a CCW course and register a firearm in my name.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I gave the police my valid MI license and they said it was fine if the car wasnt registered to me that I had time to do that. and the insurance was substantial. But then they said my CA license was suspended in addition. That was the first notice of a suspension I'd recieved
Had you kept your contact information current, you wouldn't have had this problem.
Had you turned over your CA license when applying for your MI license (as required), then you wouldn't have this problem.

juvix8888

Id really like to know from a lawyer ideally before i go buying a gun and get denied, or get sold a gun and find out later i slipped through the cracks (due to know record) but that i really wasnt eligible after all. Police told me the were unsure even in the county that i recieved that sentence

juvix8888

LIVE IN MI visit like 1 time ayear for 2-3 weeks this time now will be a week longer than planned. And always a law enforcement headache. If the weather wasnt so nice and my firends here id avoid it all together

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
NEVER HAD A CA LICENSE only visit here yearly
Ok, you did something that caused California to suspend your driving privileges.

I'm really not buying it that you had "no clue". In fact, you IGNORED the citation you received and now it's biting you in the arse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">