• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Obtaining a restraining order against a parent.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

snowball252

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

Hi,

I have a question concerning obtaining a restraining order against a parent. The mother has had every individual in my family arrested for allegations of domestic battery (All dismissed) though every one of my siblings and my father spent a night in jail. I was the most recent one arrested and spent half a month in Cook County Jail until I had my hearing and the case was dismissed. (Extremely hard to notify anyone while in Cook County.)

The SA had placed a O.P against me, though at the time I thought this would apply to her as well. She contacted me numerous times while this was in effect, and still may be. I have printed the emails & text messages. She has contacted my friends, doctors/therapist as well, even rambling to them and notifying them of my arrest and subsequent allegations and generally bad talking of me. The woman has even tried to friend me on linkedin just a few days ago.

Prior to this event, she had called the police on me three different occasions and even had me thrown into a mental hospital for a couple of days, twice, before I was released. If this woman had her way, every family member would either be in jail or a mental institution for a very long time.

Parents divorced, I had just finished college and had no place to live except with her until I could obtain a full-time job and my own apartment, which now I have but generally have a sound fear she poses a real threat to my well being.

Now without bothering friends and asking for the emails she sent them, I am able to receive copies of what she sent to the family and even written letters from other family members stating her mental condition and drug and alcohol dependence. This woman has even used my own phone and email log to email others about me.

Would I have enough to motion before a judge of her past behavior against me, contacting me during the O.P the SA imposed on me when I was arrested, the previous three other times she had called the police, letters from family and business associates who know about her and character and what she is like and did? How much do you need is my question, shes harassing me and speaking ill of me to others and I generally fear her showing up to my new job or sending emails/phone calls. Generally I'd like to avoid having to pay $500 for an attorney at the moment, but will if necessary.

Recent college grad and now this is on my record for at least another 6 m/o till I get it expunged, even though it was dropped.

Thank you for any input.

Last edited:

Proserpina

Hi,

I have a question concerning obtaining a restraining order against a parent. The mother has had every individual in my family arrested for allegations of domestic battery (All dismissed) though every one of my siblings and my father spent a night in jail. I was the most recent one arrested and spent half a month in Cook County Jail until I had my hearing and the case was dismissed. (Extremely hard to notify anyone while in Cook County.)

The SA had placed a O.P against me, though at the time I thought this would apply to her as well. She contacted me numerous times while this was in effect, and still may be. I have printed the emails & text messages. She has contacted my friends, doctors/therapist as well, even rambling to them and notifying them of my arrest and subsequent allegations and generally bad talking of me. The woman has even tried to friend me on linkedin just a few days ago.

Prior to this event, she had called the police on me three different occasions and even had me thrown into a mental hospital for a couple of days, twice, before I was released. If this woman had her way, every family member would either be in jail or a mental institution for a very long time.

Parents divorced, I had just finished college and had no place to live except with her until I could obtain a full-time job and my own apartment, which now I have but generally have a sound fear she poses a real threat to my well being.

Now without bothering friends and asking for the emails she sent them, I am able to receive copies of what she sent to the family and even written letters from other family members stating her mental condition and drug and alcohol dependence. This woman has even used my own phone and email log to email others about me.

Would I have enough to motion before a judge of her past behavior against me, contacting me during the O.P the SA imposed on me when I was arrested, the previous three other times she had called the police, letters from family and business associates who know about her and character and what she is like and did? How much do you need is my question, shes harassing me and speaking ill of me to others and I generally fear her showing up to my new job or sending emails/phone calls. Generally I'd like to avoid having to pay $500 for an attorney at the moment, but will if necessary.

Recent college grad and now this is on my record for at least another 6 m/o till I get it expunged, even though it was dropped.

Thank you for any input.

You're under absolutely no obligation whatsoever to even acknowledge her existence.

Get it expunged, and get on with your life.

single317dad

Hi,

Thank you for any input.
Domestic battery, per 720 ILCS 5/12-3.2, is violence against a household member:

(a) A person commits domestic battery if he or she knowingly without legal justification by any means:
(1) Causes bodily harm to any family or household member;
(2) Makes physical contact of an insulting or provoking nature with any family or household member.
So, does the mother live in the house with all these people? If so, that seems like the first issue to remedy.

What do you want to accomplish here? You want to go before a judge, but to what purpose?

snowball252

To get a O.P to prevent the individual from ever contacting me or contacting my current and/or future employer, and/or showing up at my place of residence, which I believe she would because she has with my sister and fathers.

I had changed my #, gave it to my sister, who in turn gave it to my uncle in turn gave it to the woman, and she still is sending me texts.

Phone at the time did not have a password on it. Just mentioned this to give you a picture of her audacity.

If I generally thought ignoring her would work, I would. Though this woman is insane and she will continue at this and it will get worse.

To give you a idea, this current incident started in December, its now February and this individual is still attempting to contact me & contacting people I know about me.

Last edited:

Proserpina

To get a O.P to prevent the individual from ever contacting me or contacting my current and/or future employer, and/or showing up at my place of residence, which I believe she would because she has with my sister and fathers.

I had changed my #, gave it to my sister, who in turn gave it to my uncle in turn gave it to the woman, and she still is sending me texts.

Phone at the time did not have a password on it. Just mentioned this to give you a picture of her audacity.

If I generally thought ignoring her would work, I would. Though this woman is insane and she will continue at this and it will get worse.

To give you a idea, this current incident started in December, its now February and this individual is still attempting to contact me & contacting people I know about me.

If she's that bad (and for what it's worth, "insane" is a legal concept), a piece of paper isn't going to stop her.

single317dad

If I generally thought ignoring her would work, I would.
So, you aren't ignoring her. Therefore you're feeding the fire. I think you'd be surprised how effective a lack of interest on your part would be. I think you'd also be surprised at a judge's opinion of your continued involvement with someone who is supposedly harassing you. That said, feel free to fill out the forms and give it a go:

http://www.illinoissecondcircuit.info/documents/OPplenaryorderfinal47.pdf

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">