• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Officer Failed to sign Ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hcier

What is the name of your state? NY

I just received two tickets;one for "disobeying" double line and the other for not having my insurance card. The police officer did not print his full name on one and did not sign the other. Are these grounds for dismissl of the tickets? Thanks in advance.

seniorjudge

hcier said:
What is the name of your state? NY

I just received two tickets;one for "disobeying" double line and the other for not having my insurance card. The police officer did not print his full name on one and did not sign the other. Are these grounds for dismissl of the tickets? Thanks in advance.
No, this is not a grounds for dismissal.

You just have courtesy copies; the real ones are with the prosecutor and he carried them to the court house.

hcier

While I appreciate the previous poster's response, he should note that NYC has no prosecutors in traffic court. It is just you, the cop and the judge. If anyone with actual knowledge of the system at issue, I would greatly appreciate a more well-informed response.

seniorjudge

hcier said:
While I appreciate the previous poster's response, he should note that NYC has no prosecutors in traffic court. It is just you, the cop and the judge. If anyone with actual knowledge of the system at issue, I would greatly appreciate a more well-informed response.
No one is answering you because I gave you the only correct response.

badapple40

They won't dismiss the charges because of non-signature?

They would dismiss here (though the cop usually just re-issues another ticket that is signed). The signature requirement is usually under oath. It generally takes a statement that someone committed a violation under oath to begin a criminal prosecution.

In Ohio, the state has 30 days to try you -- and, barring that, the charges must be dismissed. I don't know what New York's limits are, but sounds like you might want to appeal.

badapple40

racer72 said:
The only tickets that require an officer's signature are those that require a court appearance.
In what state? Again, the charges would be dismissed in Kentucky or Ohio, but probably immediately refiled.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">