• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

OHIO minor rights property ownership

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cyjeff

And you still haven't answered my very serious question.

Why would the teenager believe that she has ownership of said horse?

werke01

And you still haven't answered my very serious question.

Why would the teenager believe that she has ownership of said horse?

She is claiming in court that I "gifted" them to her at various times. Issue is can she, as a minor, in OHIO leagally own property (horses)?

cyjeff

She is claiming in court that I "gifted" them to her at various times. Issue is can she, as a minor, in OHIO leagally own property (horses)?
Your 17 year old daughter is SUING you?

Okay, it's time to stop this crap.

Where does your daughter live now, why is she not with you, what does her mother think about this, and why don't you want your daughter to have her horse?

Jeez... like pulling frigging teeth....

werke01

So little time, so many questions.

Some background, divorced with co-custody, daughter (17) used to live at my place most of the time.

She stole 4 of my horses a couple of days after an argument, law won't get involved, tell me it's civil, not criminal. She also forged some signatures on some AQHA registration papers for the horses, putting them in her name for AQHA without my expressed permission. I have bill of sale and letters stating that the horses were sold to me by the people I purchased them from.

Sueing her via repevin action to get horses back, claims I gifted the horses to her. (Didn't no evidence that I gave them to her) Believe my ex is putting her up to part of this.

If I can find evidence (case law, etc.) that shows a minor can't own property (current research indicates this), I win, else it gets harder. Some of these horses she took I've had for almost 10 years.

cyjeff

You are going to sue your own daughter for horses? Really?

Get an attorney. There is no way I wanna jump in this cesspool.

Well, except to say that yes, she can own property... she cannot enter contracts, but she can own property.

Further, her mother owns the horses as much as you do.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You are going to sue your own daughter for horses? Really?

Get an attorney. There is no way I wanna jump in this cesspool.

Well, except to say that yes, she can own property... she cannot enter contracts, but she can own property.

Further, her mother owns the horses as much as you do.
Not if he was awarded the horses during the divorce or purchased them AFTER the divorce. But yes minors can own property in Ohio.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Some background, divorced with co-custody, daughter (17) used to live at my place most of the time.

She stole 4 of my horses a couple of days after an argument, law won't get involved, tell me it's civil, not criminal. She also forged some signatures on some AQHA registration papers for the horses, putting them in her name for AQHA without my expressed permission. I have bill of sale and letters stating that the horses were sold to me by the people I purchased them from.

Sueing her via repevin action to get horses back, claims I gifted the horses to her. (Didn't no evidence that I gave them to her) Believe my ex is putting her up to part of this.

If I can find evidence (case law, etc.) that shows a minor can't own property (current research indicates this), I win, else it gets harder. Some of these horses she took I've had for almost 10 years.
You are suing your 17 year old (your child) and you believe that you will win? Do you realize the outcome of this case? Losers all around. Congrats.

cyjeff

You are suing your 17 year old (your child) and you believe that you will win? Do you realize the outcome of this case? Losers all around. Congrats.
Yeah, this was my point.

You can't sue family.

You can sue people you are related to, but the moment the lawyers come out, they stop being family.

You are burning bridges here that may never be rebuilt.

Perhaps a better question, and the one that I have been asking since post #2, is why does the daughter believe that she owns the horses?

Not what does the bill of sale say. Not who paid to feed them. Why does your daughter think that the horses belong to her?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">