• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Oldest trick in the book -- changing their story

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

green11

State is: Texas

My flame suit is on because I can tell this is a rough crowd, but here it goes:

7am – Daylight on a typical summer Thursday morning in Texas

Girlfriend is borrowing my car, gets gas at neighborhood gas station before heading to work at a church.

As she is leaving gas station, she is stationary at the end of the gas station driveway waiting for passing traffic to clear so she can turn right onto the freeway feeder to head to work. The speed limit on the feeder is a lofty 50mph. Picture of the driveway and position of my car:

http://i43.tinypic.com/2j2c94k.jpg

While my car is still stationary, a lady is turning right to go into the same driveway for the gas station. The lady is going too fast, so she can’t quite make the corner and hits back left of my car (behind my rear wheel) with the front left of her car (ahead of her front wheel).

The lady gets out, admits she hit the car, and says she can’t believe she hit such a nice car. She immediately provides her driver’s license and insurance to my girlfriend to be photograph with my girlfriend’s Smartphone. My girlfriend also takes pictures of the accident scene. The other lady remarks, “at least the damage isn't that bad and won’t cost my insurance that much.” The other lady doesn't ask for anything from my girlfriend – not her driver’s license, not her insurance, not her license plate, not even her name.

The other lady explains that she works very close to the gas station, and claims she goes to that gas station 3-4 times per week to pick up chips for work -- so she is very familiar with the location.

They leave the scene.

At work 30 mins later, my girlfriend calls the claim 800 number on the back of the other lady’s insurance (Progressive) to report the collision and to give the information above. The claim had already been opened by the other lady with Progressive.

The other lady had told her insurance that my car was driving in the middle of the driveway and when my girlfriend saw her coming, my girlfriend turned to move more over the right, but she could not avoid hitting my car even though she claims she was only going 3-5 miles per hour when entering the driveway.

The location of my car, the movement of my car, and the speed of her car are the only 3 items in dispute. At least she did not try to make up any completely false stories such as my car backed into hers or anything like that, and she does describe the situation as, “I can't believe I hit your car.”

Progressive tells me that because there were no witnesses, it’s a “he said/she said,” and they feel that with my car being too far over, it was my girlfriend’s fault. However, they are not trying to make a claim for damages against my girlfriend or me.

No witnesses were identified that saw the accident, and no security cameras were found to be covering the area. I do have a recorded phone conversation (legal in state of Texas) with the other driver stating everything above, so she can’t change her story now. Another thing she states is that every time she is going into that gas station, people are coming out that are too far over so she knows to watch out for that, which means to me she should know to be more careful and not hit another car. The lady did also confide in me that she has a very bad driving record, and as a result she has sky high insurance, so she does not want this “at fault” claim on her record because it will cause her insurance to go even higher, which she cannot afford. Therefore, she refuses to admit fault so that her liability will cover my damages.

The claims adjuster for Progressive evaluated my damage before the denying the coverage at $950. I had my trusted shop repair the damage for $999 to my satisfaction. I did look up that if the damage is below $1000, you do not have to report the accident in my area. If you have to report it, the report must be filed within 2 weeks of the accident, and this accident happened 2 months ago now.

I reported the accident to my insurance (Farmers), not a claim, but a report, on the same morning of the accident. My deductible is $1000 with Farmers. As a result, my insurance has no incentive to fight this battle because the amount of the claim is less than my deductible, so they would not waste any time on it because they have nothing to lose.

So I would like to use small claims court to have a judge decide. I talked to my agent (30 years in the business), and he says I should go that route given the circumstances since Farmers won’t be much help. He doesn't know much about traffic laws, but he does know insurance, and that Farmers won’t do much to help me.

Based on the facts above, do I need to sue the lady or Progressive?

What is your opinion on how a judge might rule in the case given the facts above?

Even if my car was more toward the middle of the driveway, does the fact that the front of her car hit the back of my car mean anything, like it was her responsibility to control her vehicle, especially if her car was only going 3-5 mph in an area she states she knows she needs to watch out for other cars?

How can I find the state laws/codes that would govern the specifics of this traffic accident situation so I can study them? There’s lots of misinformation about the law, and I have always understood that if someone hits the back of your car with the front on their car, they have more responsibility. Is this correct?

Thank you in advance for the helpful replies!

Last edited:

ecmst12

Small claims court is really your only option. All you have to lose is the filing fee. It is a word vs word situation, so your chances aren't great, but the other driver might screw up and admit something in court, or the judge may find your GF to be more credible. You never know.

ecmst12

As far as the law goes, if your car was stationary, then the other driver is at fault. Someone turning off of a street into a driveway has the right of way over someone turning out of a driveway onto a street, but only if they are both moving. The problem is the dispute over whether she was moving or sitting still. This is not a rear ending accident where fault is clearer, just because it was the front of one car and the back of the other doesn't mean anything. An expert might be able to look at the damage and determine whether your car was moving or sitting still at the time of the impact, BUT such a thing would cost more than would be worth it for this matter.

OHRoadwarrior

It appears the old lady made an improper turn. However, it also appears her car was off the road. Therefore, it usually will default to each paying their own damages.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Based on the facts above, do I need to sue the lady or Progressive?
If you do sue, you would sue the person that caused the damage and also the owner of the car (if different.) You have no claim against the insurance company because they didn't damage your car. They are only there to defend the other party and to pay (if required.)

davew128

It appears the old lady made an improper turn. However, it also appears her car was off the road. Therefore, it usually will default to each paying their own damages.
Are you suggesting that because this wasn't on a road that insurance and at fault rules do not apply???

green11

Since the accident happened on the driveway for the gas station, but the cars were right at the intersection of the feeder road, is there an easement that makes the accident on public property as opposed to private from a legal perspective?

green11

Once I send the demand letter and move toward small claims court, what is the likelihood that Progressive will change their mind about the fault since the suit amount is only $999?

It's a lot of money to me and I am further motivated by the disgust of this lady skirting her responsibility, but is it worth their time to fight this size suit in one that could be a coin toss for them?

Last edited:

ecmst12

Hard to say. But there's at least a decent chance of them relenting when they see you're not going to accept their denial. Again, you have nothing to lose but the filing fee.

justalayman

The other lady had told her insurance that my car was driving in the middle of the driveway and when my girlfriend saw her coming, my girlfriend turned to move more over the right, but she could not avoid hitting my car even though she claims she was only going 3-5 miles per hour when entering the driveway.
yes, she could have avoided hitting your girlfriend by stopping. The only way it could have been your GF's fault would be if she somehow moved INTO the path of the woman. I don't care if your GF was completely blocking the drive, it does not put fault on her. The only issue that could possibly allow any challenge would be the motion. I do not believe it to be much of an issue though due to the minimal speed and especially because of what she said to her insurance company.

The other driver saw your girlfriend. She was claimed to be somewhat blocking the drive. Per the woman's statements, your girlfriend was attempting to move out of the way at a very low rate of speed.

see where this is going? The woman had more than adequate time to stop without hitting your gf. She didn't.

green11

The other driver saw your girlfriend. She was claimed to be somewhat blocking the drive. Per the woman's statements, your girlfriend was attempting to move out of the way at a very low rate of speed.
This is encouraging. Because the truth is that my girlfriend was definitely stopped because she was waiting for a lot of cars to pass before she could turn on to the feeder, so the fact that the lies this other lady is making up doesn't help her case makes me feel better about the situation.

Thanks everyone for the very helpful replies. I am going to work on the demand letter next.

Can I send the demand letter to her place of work, or do I have to send it to her residence? Her residence is on the photo copy of her license and is in a different county than the accident, but her insurance has her work address, which is in the same county of the accident, and where I live. And she also has an "Additional Driver" listed on her insurance -- does that mean anything to me?

I can't be 100% sure she actually owns the car. I can see on CarFax that it has been owned only by 1 person since new (it's a 2003), but it's possible someone else bought the car for her and it was never transferred into her name. Do I need to worry about the actual owner of the car in this case, especially if I am 95% sure it's her car? If so, what's the best way to confirm who owns the car?

Last edited:

justalayman

Serve her at her residence

You include an owner, if different, only due to the possibility of shared liability. I suspect you will have no problems with naming just the driver. If all else fails, if you needed to sue somebody else, as long as you are not beyond the statute of limitations, you can file another suit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">