• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

one party joint tenancy refinance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

John Se

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? AZ

Can One party of a Joint Tenancy do a refinance? If the other party is hostile. I know that on paper the other party will then become "not responsible" for the Mortgage.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? AZ

Can One party of a Joint Tenancy do a refinance? If the other party is hostile. I know that on paper the other party will then become "not responsible" for the Mortgage.
Probably not. I am virtually certain that you would need the cooperation of the other party.

justalayman

A lender is going to require all parties in title to sign a declaration granting the lender a superior lien over the title holders. If the other party did not become encumbered by the loan and as such become junior in their claim or grant the lender a superior position independently of the loan agreement then if foreclosed upon the lender could not acquire the other parties interest. It makes everything real messy.

FlyingRon

I have found that most banks (if not all) I've come across will not finance a house unless all the owners join in the loan. Even if the one who isn't applying for the loan was voluntarily to allow the security instrument to be put into place, the banks won't have it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">