• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Online services passwords

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

olhobbes

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Quick and silly question; my little one ( 7 ) has accounts with a few online services ( facebook being one of them ). Mom and I have joint legal and physical custody. When the CO doesn't specifically list electronic accounts, what obligation do the parents have, in this situation, to share account information ( logins and such )?

Proserpina

Quick and silly question; my little one ( 7 ) has accounts with a few online services ( facebook being one of them ). Mom and I have joint legal and physical custody. When the CO doesn't specifically list electronic accounts, what obligation do the parents have, in this situation, to share account information ( logins and such )?

No offense, but your 7 year old has no business being on Facebook.

If your child is being allowed to go online, it's only common courtesy to share the information with the other parent.

Just Blue

Why does a little child have access to his/her OWN FB/accounts???:confused:

olhobbes

No offense, but your 7 year old has no business being on Facebook.

If your child is being allowed to go online, it's only common courtesy to share the information with the other parent.
No offense taken, I absolutely agree. Mom signed her up, and is denying access to said authentication information.

I get that it's common courtesy ( when I signed her up with her own email address, I provided Mom with the credentials ), I was just wondering if there were any legal obligations for mom to share the info.

In the grand scheme of things not a huge issue ( especially when compared to some of the other things mom has done ), and certainly not something I'm going to waste too much time and energy on. But it is frustrating, so I figured I'd find out what the legal status is.

Proserpina

No offense taken, I absolutely agree. Mom signed her up, and is denying access to said authentication information.

I get that it's common courtesy ( when I signed her up with her own email address, I provided Mom with the credentials ), I was just wondering if there were any legal obligations for mom to share the info.

In the grand scheme of things not a huge issue ( especially when compared to some of the other things mom has done ), and certainly not something I'm going to waste too much time and energy on. But it is frustrating, so I figured I'd find out what the legal status is.

I'll be honest - if it were me, I'd be reporting the page/s to the respective providers and having them removed (since they're obviously against the TOS of at least the social networks).

A 7 year old's information does NOT need to be online, and honestly, a 7 year old doesn't need an email address either. But that's just my opinion, and not based on the law.

olhobbes

I'll be honest - if it were me, I'd be reporting the page/s to the respective providers and having them removed (since they're obviously against the TOS of at least the social networks).
That thought had crossed my mind, actually. However, she "earned" her page as a reward from her mother, and I'm reluctant to interfere with parental responsibilities in this manner. While I agree it's inappropriate for a 7 year old to have a fb account, my only real concern is that of safety. Properly monitored and secured, her fb account represents a minor enough risk that I don't feel the resulting animosity from mom is justified.

To sum up the answer to my main question, it seems there is no legal obligation for mom to hand over this information.

sandyclaus

That thought had crossed my mind, actually. However, she "earned" her page as a reward from her mother, and I'm reluctant to interfere with parental responsibilities in this manner. While I agree it's inappropriate for a 7 year old to have a fb account, my only real concern is that of safety. Properly monitored and secured, her fb account represents a minor enough risk that I don't feel the resulting animosity from mom is justified.

To sum up the answer to my main question, it seems there is no legal obligation for mom to hand over this information.
FB's TOS requires that the account holder be no less than 13 years old. You need to contact FB and report that the account holder is under age and have it closed NOW.

IMHO, if mom thinks that giving this child things that they are not supposed to have as rewards is a good thing, then I would have some serious issues with her skills as a parent.

And if YOU are more worried about Mom's animosity than setting a good example and teaching this child that there are limits and boundaries determined by their age, then I would ALSO tend to question YOUR parenting skills.

One of you has to be the responsible parent. So which one will it be?

Proserpina

FB's TOS requires that the account holder be no less than 13 years old. You need to contact FB and report that the account holder is under age and have it closed NOW.

IMHO, if mom thinks that giving this child things that they are not supposed to have as rewards is a good thing, then I would have some serious issues with her skills as a parent.

And if YOU are more worried about Mom's animosity than setting a good example and teaching this child that there are limits and boundaries determined by their age, then I would ALSO tend to question YOUR parenting skills.

Co-sign, please.

Just Blue

double co-sign!

olhobbes

I appreciate your perspective, and share it to some degree, but let's be honest here; we aren't talking about smoking cigars. My little one isn't cracking open a cold one at the end of the day. Yes, it's against the TOS, but my concern is always in the practicalities of the problem. Facebook represents a minor enough risk if properly managed.

You have to pick your battles, otherwise parents end up at each other's throats instead of acting in their child's best interests. Were my child in any actual danger, then I'd act. Otherwise, my job is to stay out of mom's parenting, just as I expect her to stay out of mine.

I appreciate your perspective, and share it to some degree, but let's be honest here; we aren't talking about smoking cigars. My little one isn't cracking open a cold one at the end of the day. Yes, it's against the TOS, but my concern is always in the practicalities of the problem. Facebook represents a minor enough risk if properly managed.

You have to pick your battles, otherwise parents end up at each other's throats instead of acting in their child's best interests. Were my child in any actual danger, then I'd act. Otherwise, my job is to stay out of mom's parenting, just as I expect her to stay out of mine.
Okay...so tell mom that if she doesn't share the log in information, you'll have the page closed due to the TOS.

I think you should close it anyway. You are teaching your kid that it is okay to break some rules when they aren't that big of a deal. Where do you draw the line?

Proserpina

Hmm.

In a little while, I expect that your 7 year old is going to know how to change his/her settings on Facebook (if s/he doesn't already know).

I heavily doubt Mom is monitoring 24/7.

Are you okay with that?

And where do you, as NGU asked, draw the line when it comes to breaking rules?

It's okay to break the rules and sign up for an account that you're not entitled to....

....so which other rules are okay to break?

A 7 year old doesn't have the maturity to discern - like we adults - which lines are okay to bend and which aren't. They simply know "yes" or "no". It's like a parent giggling and laughing when they say rude words in a cutesy setting, then disciplining the child when the child uses the word against them. It confuses the heck out of the child.

Just Blue

So. Whan Jr. ends up with a bunch of child molesters a "friends"...What will you say to CPS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">