• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Open enrollment period

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Proejo

What is the name of your state? TX

My company's plan will be sent to arrive by mail on November 2 - 4. My wife's company has already issued their open enrollment plan and it closes on October 31st. We wanted an opportunity to review both plans side by side, but with these dates, there's no way. Is there any way to just go ahead and sign up for my wife's plan now, then if my company's plan is the preferred plan, sign up for it and then drop the other? Short of that, is there any way to force my company's HR to release the details of it's plan prior to the expected dates it will arrive by mail?

Beth3

Is there any way to just go ahead and sign up for my wife's plan now, then if my company's plan is the preferred plan, sign up for it and then drop the other? Only your wife's employer can answer that. Among other things, we don't know if it's a 125B style plan, in which case coverage can only be changed or cancelled during open enrollment time or because of a "qualifying event."

Short of that, is there any way to force my company's HR to release the details of it's plan prior to the expected dates it will arrive by mail? Nope. You can ask for a copy of the materials in advance but you can't force your employer to do anything. Knowing how these things go, it's quite possible they won't have the materials ready and perhaps even the premiums finalized until the end of October.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">