• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

OT: High functioning autism question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wileybunch

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nevada/Doesn't matter

I noticed a few here have children with high functioning autism. Who is the best type of provider to diagnose this in a child?

lealea1005

I noticed a few here have children with high functioning autism. Who is the best type of provider to diagnose this in a child?
Pediatric Neurologist or Pediatric Psychologist. Make sure they're specifically Board Certified for Pediatrics.
You'll probably need a referral from the child's PCP.

haiku

I ended up with a referral to a pediatric neurologist, which I got from my regular Ped. I also went through testing at the school, and used all of this info when getting a diagnosis. My child now sees a regular counselor and psychiatrist.

Chixalot

I've also been sent to a Pediatric Neurologist. Because of my son's age(2 1/2), I've been told that they can't "legally diagnose" him(even asthma). So I've come to terms with their ,so called,"pre-diagnosis". In the mean time, my son is receiving agressive speech/directional therapy along with occasional Pediatric Neurologist visits and Occupational Therapists visits.

Don't quite understand everything, yet. It is always good to be pro-active.

Good luck to everyone.

mommyto 2

I wanted to add to what has already been said with some additional information. Besides pediatric neurologist and psychiatrist, a pediatric neuropsychologist can be one who evaluates and diagnosis’s ASD (autistic spectrum disorders). The key to finding an individual professional is by their individual experience. I have found both professionally and personally that many of these professions have individual specialties so it is important to ask questions prior to the appointment. Referrals from other professional (such as pediatricians and educators) or families with a child with ASD can be extremely helpful. Often times a diagnosis comes over time and with several people evaluating a child (such as speech pathologists, occupational and physical therapist). As high functioning autism and Asperger's can be complex, often it takes time to come to this conclusion. Age of the child is also a factor. Usually high functioning autism and Asperger's are not identified until the child is of school age. This is not always due to inexperience educators but often due to how the symptomology evolves.

I wish you the best. Please feel free to PM me if you ever have any questions. There are some wonderful (and not so wonderful) books on the subject and websites as well.

Just Blue

A Pediatric Neurologist or a Pedi-Neuro Psychologist.

Mine was first Dx'ed with the former and we then went to the later.

Just Blue

I wanted to add to what has already been said with some additional information. Besides pediatric neurologist and psychiatrist, a pediatric neuropsychologist can be one who evaluates and diagnosis’s ASD (autistic spectrum disorders). The key to finding an individual professional is by their individual experience. I have found both professionally and personally that many of these professions have individual specialties so it is important to ask questions prior to the appointment. Referrals from other professional (such as pediatricians and educators) or families with a child with ASD can be extremely helpful. Often times a diagnosis comes over time and with several people evaluating a child (such as speech pathologists, occupational and physical therapist). As high functioning autism and Asperger's can be complex, often it takes time to come to this conclusion. Age of the child is also a factor. Usually high functioning autism and Asperger's are not identified until the child is of school age. This is not always due to inexperience educators but often due to how the symptomology evolves.

I wish you the best. Please feel free to PM me if you ever have any questions. There are some wonderful (and not so wonderful) books on the subject and websites as well.
I should read the whole thread BEFORE posting.

Childbrain.com - Welcome is an EXCELLIENT site.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">