• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Other drivers insurance wont pay obvious claim

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

justalayman

Yes I'm very aware of traffic laws, I'm the guy you beep at because I won't take my turn until there's no one in sight(at a turn that you're referencing). I am a ridiculously cautious driver.
Uh-oh. If this came into play in this situation, you might have relinquished your ROW by refusing to accept it. At some point, if you are not going to move, the other drivers will. Unless you start moving, once they are in the intersection, they have ROW. If you make a last second charge into their path, you are then the one at fault.

JustAPal00

Uh-oh. If this came into play in this situation, you might have relinquished your ROW by refusing to accept it. At some point, if you are not going to move, the other drivers will. Unless you start moving, once they are in the intersection, they have ROW. If you make a last second charge into their path, you are then the one at fault.
Thank you. Once again, if two vehicles are stopped at a four way stop, the one to the right has the ROW.

justalayman

Thank you. Once again, if two vehicles are stopped at a four way stop, the one to the right has the ROW.
incorrect. Are you not reading what is written?

In that situation, the person to the left had ROW until such time they relinquished it by inaction. Get it? The person on the right did not gain ROW by virtue of their position at the intersection but only by acquiescence. Very different that having ROW by law.

If you are this ignorant of driving laws (let alone the rules of common courtesy practiced in most places), please identify your car so I can avoid driving when you are near.

marshalAK

incorrect. Are you not reading what is written?

In that situation, the person to the left had ROW until such time they relinquished it by inaction. Get it? The person on the right did not gain ROW by virtue of their position at the intersection but only by acquiescence. Very different that having ROW by law.

If you are this ignorant of driving laws (let alone the rules of common courtesy practiced in most places), please identify your car so I can avoid driving when you are near.
The situation above is one I've witnessed one too many times as a Florida resident.

For some reason, 4-way stop signs seem to engender more confusion amongst drivers than pretty much any other traffic law.

What I've witnessed most frequently is two drivers arriving at a stop sign at slightly different times. This then leads to an "After you, Alfonse!" vs "No, after you, Gaston!" back and forth until finally one person gets frustrated and then both parties enter the intersection and collide.

Back on topic, however - Bisna, JAL is correct. If you sit there and do nothing, other drivers then must assume a "pass" and make a move. Essentially, it's like cards - if you take a pass then you forfeit your turn. You cannot then change your mind and take your turn. If that's what happened, then you are indeed at fault.

In the future, consider that more assertive driving might serve you better and be safer. Ridiculously cautious drivers tend to be unpredictable drivers. You mentioned you had a similar accident not that long ago. Look into an advanced driving course from a reputable school like Skip Barber - teaches you to have much more confidence in your driving skills.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Let's say I come to a complete stop at a 4-way stop. I am counting down the 3 seconds (taught in driving school) before proceeding. at 1.5 seconds in to my count down, a car stops to my right. Are you seriously suggesting that the car that stopped at the 4-way stop after I stopped now has the ROW?

What you MEAN to say is that, if two cars arrive at a 4-way stop at the same time, the car on the right has the ROW.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">