• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

out of state arrest

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Just Blue

Thank you Ohiogal for your direct response without taking a stab at my intelligence. I appreciate it, truly. I'm wondering if the fact that I'm from another state doesn't give me SOME rights to the sentence being transferred? Basically, if someone from out of state commits a crime in their state, they can serve them with probation and require them to stay in that state? Essentially locking them away from their ability to produce an income (to pay fines, etc...) and survive? It seems so inhumane to me that such things would be possible in America. Then again, I've never been arrested or in any kind of trouble before this (hence the reason I'm referring to an online forum for advice) which is somehow backfiring in my face. Believe me, I understand that I'm the one who is at fault, and commited the crime. I'm not claiming to be innocent or the victim of a police officers mistake. Im taking full responsibility for the actions I've done. If any of you have children or a spouse, you should relate to the feeling of being kept away from them, and furthermore, the feeling of not being able to provide for them. Like I said before, I know I can request a transfer of probation (which is what I intend to do) but there isn't any rights for an individual who is arrested out of their state of residence? (entirely an example) but what if I was on vacation in Las Vegas and got arrested for something there, I would have to live there until I completed my sentence? It just doesn't make sense to me. Although I'm learning that the majority of our legal system here in this "wonderful" country of ours, doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Again, thank you for any help you can provide. I truly appreciate it.
Please answer post 11.

anearthw

Your suggestion would probably result in a million failure to appears. Or, I guess, ridiculous administration costs to move jurisdictions for every Joe who leaves the state. It is far more realistic to expect people to stay in the state to appear and serve. I suppose laws were designed in such a way to deter offenses. You can blame the system all you want, you are the one who left your wife and children behind to "turkey hunt". You experience the same rights as a childless unmarried man. You are no more entitled than him, although quite frankly he might be forgiven for such stupidity.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">