• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Out of State Drug Citation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SirKnoggin

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee

This summer, me and my boyfriend were going to a music festival in Tennessee and at the gates we were selected for a random search. When they approached us they said very bluntly that they have drug dogs and will strip search our car, or we can just hand them anything we have and they'll let us go with a citation. My boyfriend said there was weed in the car and we handed it over. Just recently we got the citation in the mail, but we are a little unsure of how to go about this since we live in a different state. They aren't making us appear in court, but rather just want us to send in a fine; however, are we better off fighting it and trying to get it off our record? At first we figured they just want their money and for us to move on, but now that we are thinking this will follow us for a long time, we shouldn't just cave so easily. But it also being across the country further complicates things for us. What is the best course of action here?

Thank you in advance for your responses and patience. Very stressful to deal with.

*edit* Forgot to mention this is a first offense.

Last edited:

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee

This summer, me and my boyfriend were going to a music festival in Tennessee and at the gates we were selected for a random search. When they approached us they said very bluntly that they have drug dogs and will strip search our car, or we can just hand them anything we have and they'll let us go with a citation. My boyfriend said there was weed in the car and we handed it over. Just recently we got the citation in the mail, but we are a little unsure of how to go about this since we live in a different state. They aren't making us appear in court, but rather just want us to send in a fine; however, are we better off fighting it and trying to get it off our record? At first we figured they just want their money and for us to move on, but now that we are thinking this will follow us for a long time, we shouldn't just cave so easily. But it also being across the country further complicates things for us. What is the best course of action here?

Thank you in advance for your responses and patience. Very stressful to deal with.

*edit* Forgot to mention this is a first offense.
What did your Attorney say when you asked him/her?

Just Blue

We haven't contacted an attorney yet. Would we need a TN attorney to represent us?
Yes. You would have figured this out if you didn't kill your knoggin with weed. jus' saying.

Please make sure that you have an attorney if you are really determined to not just pay the fine. :)

RRevak

Yes. You would have figured this out if you didn't kill your knoggin with weed. jus' saying.
What is it you want to be when you grow up?

Um psst, both of you realize how silly and antiquated these statements are, right? For every "study" conducted that states marijuana is detrimental, there are several more that state its harmless. Reefer madness is long since dead ;)

Just Blue

Um psst, both of you realize how silly and antiquated these statements are, right? For every "study" conducted that states marijuana is detrimental, there are several more that state its harmless. Reefer madness is long since dead ;)
Ummm...Pot causes short term brain disfunction. Gives the smoker a kind of "duh" time.

Not "madness". I never posted that. ;)

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
My question was a serious question due to the fact that some marijuana usage can prohibit someone from getting jobs if it is on their criminal background check. That is the purpose of my question. Where did I say that marijuana is detrimental overall? The truth is drug usage -- even marijuana -- can negatively IMPACT employability. That is FACT. Should I list the TYPE of jobs that can be impacted? Hence why I asked what he wants to be when he grows up -- he strikes me as young/college age. Maybe you shouldn't assume the purpose of my question.

RRevak

My question was a serious question due to the fact that some marijuana usage can prohibit someone from getting jobs if it is on their criminal background check. That is the purpose of my question. Where did I say that marijuana is detrimental overall? The truth is drug usage -- even marijuana -- can negatively IMPACT employability. That is FACT. Should I list the TYPE of jobs that can be impacted? Hence why I asked what he wants to be when he grows up -- he strikes me as young/college age. Maybe you shouldn't assume the purpose of my question.
*sigh* Will you relax for once? I'm fairly certain my post was in no way an attack on you so your response is a bit harsh. While I did make an assumption, your stance on marijuana has been made pretty clear on other threads so my thoughts on you being another "pot is the devil" type individuals I felt would probably not be too far off the mark. If it was then I apologize. But as I tell my 10yr old, you could use a healthy dose of woooooosaaaahhh once in a while...although I won't attempt to rub your earlobe, that would be on you :cool:

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
OP - did you BOTH get the citations or was it only your boyfriend?

Secondly, what was the actual charge, i.e. the law and section/subsection? I'm thinking that since an appearance isn't a requirement the charge might actually be some type of administrative violation. You may have gotten a "roadside plea bargain".

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
*sigh* Will you relax for once? I'm fairly certain my post was in no way an attack on you so your response is a bit harsh. While I did make an assumption, your stance on marijuana has been made pretty clear on other threads so my thoughts on you being another "pot is the devil" type individuals I felt would probably not be too far off the mark. If it was then I apologize. But as I tell my 10yr old, you could use a healthy dose of woooooosaaaahhh once in a while...although I won't attempt to rub your earlobe, that would be on you :cool:
I have never stated POT IS THE DEVIL. Apparently you haven't been reading all my posts on the subject. I have constantly told people that pot is not considered very much at all in custody cases and the like. The problem is it is still illegal in many states. I should relax? I was relaxed. You were the one jumping on me. You quoted my post and then went off about did I realize how silly and antiquated my stance was. I asked him what he wanted to be when he grew up. Why? Because a marijuana violation could interfere with that. But you decide to jump and assume that you know something about me.

RRevak

I have never stated POT IS THE DEVIL. Apparently you haven't been reading all my posts on the subject. I have constantly told people that pot is not considered very much at all in custody cases and the like. The problem is it is still illegal in many states. I should relax? I was relaxed. You were the one jumping on me. You quoted my post and then went off about did I realize how silly and antiquated my stance was. I asked him what he wanted to be when he grew up. Why? Because a marijuana violation could interfere with that. But you decide to jump and assume that you know something about me.
And here you go again with the defensive. How in the WORLD did you get I "went off" on my quote post? And did you miss the part where I actually APOLOGIZED for my assumption? For the love of all that is holy woman *sheesh*

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">