• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

overtime pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NYDST5611

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY
Our office officially closed at 2 p.m. for one of the holidays. Normal work day is until 5. I had an assignment that the boss wanted finished so I stayed till 5 p.m. while the rest of the office left at 2. Am I entitled to pay for those 3 hours? Company says no because we were paid for a full day (yet no one besides me worked the full day). I suggested in light of the economy and fairness to give me 3 hours off on another day. Company said no because if I had to stay to finish "my work". No one else's desk was "clean and free" of work. They say since we were paid for the day, I'm not entitled to anything. That sounds unfair since it only applied to me not to mention rude and unappreciative. I'm a non-exempt employee if that makes a difference. Comments anyone? Thanks

ecmst12

You were paid. You're not entitled to extra or overtime unless you actually work more then 40 hours in a single week.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">