• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

parental rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

aileen

my ex has not seen or had verbal or written contact with my 3 kids in almost 5 yrs. I have sole legal custody and supoort oders that have never been paid for $25.00 a month . Can I get his rights terminated. Any suggestions helpful

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

HE has to terminate HIS rights. It is not what you do, it is what HE does. What you can do is sue him for back child support AND give his name over to the District Attorney's office in your state. They will undoubtedly have a dead beat dad type section that prosecutes (criminally) such fathers for back support.

If you can get him in either that situation with suing him for back support and/or criminal prosecution, he may be "CAJOLED" or "PERSUADED" into giving up his parental rights.

LegalBeagle

There is a massive mis-conception about terminating parental rights.. it is almost impossible for a parent to just give up 'rights' to a child unless someone else adopts, or that parent sets up a massive trust fund.

You approach is to go to court and have that silly amount of 25/mnt raised to a figure in the 100's and then have the bum thrown in jail when he does not pay.

U

Ukiah

I would go to the local Child Support Enforcement Agency and file a cliam against him for the support. Maybe he will start paying as he should if he is ordered by the DA themselves. I would also seek the advice of an attorney, but also think about the consequences of all actions taken, this could be a blessing for your child to finally get the money he/she deserves or the father may retaliate in some way - so be careful. I also agree with Legal Beagle, get that amount raised, this is not the 1900's anymore!

Good luck,

Ukiah

------------------
All that you have read in no way is Legal Advice, it is a matter of opinion to help you in your quest

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">