• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parental rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kbcdm72

What is the name of your state?California

Helpppppppppppp My son has been with me and my 2 other children and wonderful fiance for 2 years now he refers to him as daddy and now his biological father wants custody and visitation. What are the chances that a judge will change his environment just for the biological parents wishes.

BL

kbcdm72 said:

Helpppppppppppp My son has been with me and my 2 other children and wonderful fiance for 2 years now he refers to him as daddy and now his biological father wants custody and visitation. What are the chances that a judge will change his environment just for the biological parents wishes.
If he is NOT a danger to the Children , He has a right to visits .

Depending on his contact with his children , you could request gradual visitation schedule " to reintroduce the children to their Father ".

He can also request some sort of Custody , it's up to a Judge to Decide .

rmet4nzkx

kbcdm72 said:

We need facts.

You didn't like the answers you got on your other thread?
https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=286040

How many different fathers?
Any with your current boyfriend?
Has paternity been established or any other court orders?
Were you married to the father of your 2yo?

Yes, if he is the bio dad proved by DNA, Acknowledgement of paternity or marriage, then he has the right to custody and visitation.

Your unfounded accusations about drug and alcohol abuse are likely not to influence the judge much and less so the fact that his siblings have been in rehab. You had a child with him and the child has a right to a relationship with their father, not just your current boyfriend.

I take it you have no problem collecting child support.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
kbcdm72 said:
What are the chances that a judge will change his environment just for the biological parents wishes.
Isn't this exactly what you're trying to do, tho? Have a judge accomodate YOUR wishes?

kbcdm72

No I was never married to the father of the 2 year old. We dated occasionally. We never have lived together , and he his not denying he lives with his sister who has been in and out of drug rehab for the past 2 years. I have also witnessed the whole family and friends before my son was born abusing drugs and alchohol. I have found items on the web stating that the court will do what is in the best interest of the child. Uprooting him and putting him in this type of enviroment will cause stress on him. I work with infants and toddlers and have seen parents divorce and this happens , but the fact that we have never lived together and this so called "father" hasnt ever changed a single diaper in 2 years!! This makes me sick to know that any court would allow this to happen.... We go to court in Nov. Any advice???? Thanks All

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
The court will most certainly, however, allow visitation. And likely not be impressed that you're letting some unrelated third party be refered to as Daddy.

BL

Look , you are giving us only your side here .

You are not going to get anyone here to help you keep the child's Father out of his life .

You were given advice on gradual visitations , you can also request when the visitations turn into overnights , that the Father have proper housing , although you would have to prove where he stays is unfit .

The Fact that you never lived together or he changed a diaper ( oh I was accused of that too , even though I changed many a the kids diaper that were soiled when I showed up , and before while living together ) , has NO legal bearing whatsoever .

I see your bitterness , and the court will too if you go in with that attitude .

I see absolutely nothing in your post preventing him for requesting his rights .

You would do well not to interfere once visits are established .

Last edited:

shari36

re

It may seem like 2 years is along time, Try 9 years. If bio is showing an interest in the child encourage this relationship, its not about you its about your child. Been there and felt the same way at the time.. Its hard to see any good intentions after so long with out contact or support. My own experience, tells me it gets alittle eaiser once you let go of all the hurt and bitterness.. Your child can never have enough family to love them...
Good luck
Shari

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">