• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

parental unfitness

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sandysmom

What is the name of your state?GA. I know judges have wide descretion on what they consider parental unfitness. Besides providing food, shelter and clothing what else could be considered unfitness. The CP not encouraging a relationship with NCP? In teenagers, CP not encouraging visitation with NCP?

LdiJ

sandysmom said:
What is the name of your state?GA. I know judges have wide descretion on what they consider parental unfitness. Besides providing food, shelter and clothing what else could be considered unfitness. The CP not encouraging a relationship with NCP? In teenagers, CP not encouraging visitation with NCP?
Honestly...to prove parental unfitness from a legal standpoint, you really have to prove the parent as dangerous to the child. A parent who is convicted of child molestation would be unfit. A parent who has documented evidence (outside evidence) of drug addiction would be unfit....same with serious alcoholism (but not necessarily unfit enough to deny all visitation). A parent who physically abused the child would be unfit. A parent who starved the child and/or provided SERIOUSLY unhealthy, unsanitary living conditions may be found unfit.

Basically, the standards of proving a parent unfit are the same standards that CPS would use to remove a child from the parent's home and put them in foster care.

I doubt that a CP not encouraging a relationship with an NCP would be considered unfitness....even actively discouraging a relationship might not be considered unfitness. It might be considered a reasons for a custody change...but not necessarily a reason to declare the parent unfit. When the kids are teens its even stickier.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">