• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parenting Classes.......NOTHING LEGAL SORRY

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

xKellyx

What is the name of your state?AL

I've decided to take some parenting classes, but am having trouble finding anything in my area.....I've googles parenting classes in AL...but I'm just not coming up with anything.....HELP?

Zephyr

actually your local Department of Health, or Family services, whatever it is there, night be able to answer that for you, they might actually sponser the classes

xKellyx

WANNACRY said:
actually your local Department of Health, or Family services, whatever it is there, night be able to answer that for you, they might actually sponser the classes

on their website it only shows fatherhood classes for NCP parents...I am neither of those.

CJane

Try your local extension office, health department, etc. My sister has worked as a parenting instructor in several states, and has almost always worked extremely closely with the county extension office, if not for them directly.

xKellyx

CJane said:
Try your local extension office, health department, etc. My sister has worked as a parenting instructor in several states, and has almost always worked extremely closely with the county extension office, if not for them directly.

what is the county extension office, i've never heard of such a thing

CJane

xKellyx said:
what is the county extension office, i've never heard of such a thing

Go here... http://www.csrees.usda.gov/Extension/

Cooperative Extension System Offices

This section of our Web site will help you find your nearest Cooperative Extension office. The Cooperative Extension System is a nationwide, non-credit educational network. Each U.S. state and territory has a state office at its land-grant university and a network of local or regional offices. These offices are staffed by one or more experts who provide useful, practical, and research-based information to agricultural producers, small business owners, youth, consumers, and others in rural areas and communities of all sizes.

CSREES is the federal partner in the Cooperative Extension System. It provides federal funding to the system and, through program leadership, helps the system identify and address current issues and problems.
It's not usually the first place people think of looking for parenting help, but I'd be surprised if they didn't have some info that would be helpful.

Also, try your local red cross, churches, etc.

rmet4nzkx

I'm glad to see you've finally taken our advice. You might also check with your local community college re early childhood educaiton classes.

krazie_pando

Have you checked out your local WIC office or called your local hospitals? a lot of times the hospitals offer parenting classes along with child cpr and other useful classes.

http://www.alfra.org/new/default.asp

http://www.spig.clara.net

Look up mediators in yellow pages.
Call any psychologist,psychiatrist,children's hospital
Call any elementary/middle school- ask for psychologist
Call family law attorneys
Call YMCA
Call Divorce Counselors
Call Welfare Dept.
Call Daycare Centers
Call Girl Scouts of America
Call any church
Call CPS
Call Police Dept
Call Dept of Health & Welfare
Call Universities (extentions with nite classes)

Call any of these locally and just ask receptionists. You will have a long list.

xKellyx

rmet4nzkx said:
I'm glad to see you've finally taken our advice. You might also check with your local community college re early childhood educaiton classes.

We are still going to the psychologist. The parenting classes are for me and my husband, who has had no previous experience with kids. I am also going to invite My ex and his wife, since they also have no previous experience with kids, they won't go but I have at least tried to help yet again.

rmet4nzkx

xKellyx said:
We are still going to the psychologist. The parenting classes are for me and my husband, who has had no previous experience with kids. I am also going to invite My ex and his wife, since they also have no previous experience with kids, they won't go but I have at least tried to help yet again.
Your child is well within the normal range of age appropriate behavior, she doesn't need a psychologist, you do and it is your responsibility to pay for it, you might wait until after you complete the parenting classes before you begin therapy.

Use your head, why on Earth would you want to admit to your ex, by your conduct that you are inaqequate as a parent by inviting them to a parenting class or trying to bill them for your therapy? Their education in parenting or your assessment of their ability to parent is of no consequence, making it an issue will make you look like a control freak or worse. Remember, discretion is the better part of Valor.

bononos

xKellyx said:
Some courts require theses classes when custody is filed for or divorce. All courts should require the classes. - IMO!

xKellyx

rmet4nzkx said:
Your child is well within the normal range of age appropriate behavior, she doesn't need a psychologist, you do and it is your responsibility to pay for it, you might wait until after you complete the parenting classes before you begin therapy.

Use your head, why on Earth would you want to admit to your ex, by your conduct that you are inaqequate as a parent by inviting them to a parenting class or trying to bill them for your therapy? Their education in parenting or your assessment of their ability to parent is of no consequence, making it an issue will make you look like a control freak or worse. Remember, discretion is the better part of Valor.

You are in no postition to say whether my child is within the normal range of age appropiate behavior, you don't know whats going on entirely. I realize its normal for kids to act up. This isn't my only worry with her. She tells me things, and I don't know whether to believe her or not. This is where a Psychologist would really come in handy.

Going to parenting classes voluntarily does not mean you are inadequate as a parent, it means you want to be the best parent you can be. My ex and his wife have already proven in court to the judge that they have had no experiences with children. His wife is 18! They are just kids! I'm not making it an issue, I'm inviting them.

You really think they are going to go to court and prove me and inadequate parent because I'm going to take parenting classes, and seeing a psychologist. But prove they are better parents because they see her occasionally when it is CO.

xKellyx

bononos said:
Some courts require theses classes when custody is filed for or divorce. All courts should require the classes. - IMO!

I agree, they should require them for everyone, I don't care if you are a vetran parent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">