• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

"Parked" on wrong side of street?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curt581

mc2math said:
I just want to know if it's possible for me to not pay for a ticket I feel I honestly didn't deserve.
No, you don't.

What you WANT is someone to feed you the answer that agrees with what you've already decided. Not the actual truth. You're going to keep asking until you get the answer you want.

Okay, here goes:

Yes, fight the ticket. Go to court. Hire a $500-an-hour attorney. Have a Jury Trial. Appeal your subsequent civil judgement to the Supreme Court.

Make enough of a nuisance of yourself, and some fed-up judge will finally dismiss it to clear his calendar.

Knock yourself out.

Happy now?

:rolleyes:

mc2math

Curt581 said:
No, you don't.

What you WANT is someone to feed you the answer that agrees with what you've already decided. Not the actual truth. You're going to keep asking until you get the answer you want.

Okay, here goes:

Yes, fight the ticket. Go to court. Hire a $500-an-hour attorney. Have a Jury Trial. Appeal your subsequent civil judgement to the Supreme Court.

Make enough of a nuisance of yourself, and some fed-up judge will finally dismiss it to clear his calendar.

Knock yourself out.

Happy now?

:rolleyes:
Either laws are WAY different in your state, or you didn't even bother reading OP, this is a PARKING violation, which is non-criminal, you can't have a JURY trial. In a municipal court, you get no lawyer (usually), and you pay $25 in order to have your case seen in front of a judge, which is given back to you when you win. Either that or you're being overly sarcastic and a post whore, in that case, stop posting in this thread. You said "I don't know why I'm wasting your time..." in an earlier post. Well, stop wasting my time and yours by posting your sarcastic attitude nonsense.

All I want is someone to tell me, WITHOUT sarcasm, whether a judge will see my out-of-gas situation and dismiss the ticket or if that's utterly impossible. I don't care if its one way or the other.

sukharev

mc2math said:
All I want is someone to tell me, WITHOUT sarcasm, whether a judge will see my out-of-gas situation and dismiss the ticket or if that's utterly impossible. I don't care if its one way or the other.
Try it, you only isk another $25, and will get a glimpse on the mighty traffic court system. As I said before, it's not a given, but hearing your story may sway the judge. Just don't count on it.

Also, recognize the cop did not know it was emergency, and telling this to the judge would help. Flashers are abused by anyone who thinks stopping for an ATM or conveniance store is not parking, and all you do is turn on EMERGENCY lights. :D

mc2math

sukharev said:
Try it, you only isk another $25, and will get a glimpse on the mighty traffic court system. As I said before, it's not a given, but hearing your story may sway the judge. Just don't count on it.

Also, recognize the cop did not know it was emergency, and telling this to the judge would help. Flashers are abused by anyone who thinks stopping for an ATM or conveniance store is not parking, and all you do is turn on EMERGENCY lights. :D
thanks, some advice like that is what i wanted. :)

justalayman

should have pushed it to the other side of the street..the judge is probably NOT going to see it your way.

There are all sorts of folks in jail that really really believe they did nothing wrong but guess what**************.....that makes them wrong twice.

CdwJava

sukharev said:
And now, after all of the aces have spoken, here is what you can do: go to court or police station (whatever it says on the ticket), show them the receipt from gas station, and explain the story (you may indeed want to skip the "P" part). Whatever they decide, take it (anywhere from dismissal to lower fine).
He has already finished his hearing and appeal, as I recall (this is done at a location set by the city and does not involve the courts). The next step is to take it to court ... which will cost him money - more than the citation, more than likely.

- Carl

CdwJava

mc2math said:
That is impossible to answer. You were unquestionably in violation of the code section. Whether a judge will decide that your circumstances are mitigating is questionable and can vary widely.

As for me, I would much rather pay the $45 than drive the 40 miles up and 40 miles back ... with the price of gas and the gas and time spent in thios and previous hearings, you might be better off just paying the ticket.

- Carl

So, when you go before the judge and she asks you why you did maintain the car in proper working order, your response will be ??????? Your situation was caused by you.

mc2math

Hmm, wouldn't my response be, yes until I ran out of gas? The car was a 1988 mazda mpv with a gas gauge that wasn't so accurate... it was reading 1/4 full and I was on my way to the gas station when it dropped to empty, giving me less than 1/4 a mile before it died out.

and about the 40 miles... do you think it's possible I could have it in a court in a different county than i orignally recieved the ticket? There's several courts a mile down from here for orange county, the ticket was given in LA county.

I understand that it was my mistake to push the vehicle to the wrong side of the curb though - I was panicing and cars were honking at me.

So i'd probably see if a judge would take this case if I could go to a nearby court - for the experience and everything - if it's nearby it's only 25$.

CdwJava

Why is it easier to push a car ACROSS the street (i.e. in to the opposite lane) rather than to the curb in your own lane?

- Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">