• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parking ticket while reading parking signs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mrbiker

You may have a case...

I live in L.A. and haven't had many tickets since I learned to play the game and read the laws.

I'm not sure as I don't have time to check, but it used to be:

1. You're not considered "parked" if you are in the car. Even if you are near the car, that's good enough. Again, I BELIEVE ('cuz it used to be but things change daily) they MUST try to contact the person operating the vehicle before they give you a ticket if the operator is in vicinity of the car. So if you get out of your car and walk half a block to look at the signs (as I have done dozens of times), they have to look around to see if they see someone reading the sign. If you're in the car, it's a no-brainer. What if the car broke down and you're sitting waiting for help? Can they ticket you for a no parking zone? Not if you're in the car. Of course, the new tactic is write the ticket and wait for the driver to get worn down from fighting and just pay.

2. They must attach the ticket to the car. They won't be able to truthfully swear to this, but the truth doesn't seem to be an issue for them.

So ask Mr. Google if these two laws are still on the books.

CdwJava

1. You're not considered "parked" if you are in the car.
That's not consistent with the Vehicle Code, but if L.A. wants to hold that standard for parking citations, that's up to them.

463. "Park or parking" shall mean the standing of a vehicle,
whether occupied or not, otherwise than temporarily for the purpose
of and while actually engaged in loading or unloading merchandise or
passengers.​

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I live in L.A. and haven't had many tickets since I learned to play the game and read the laws.

I'm not sure as I don't have time to check, but it used to be:

1. You're not considered "parked" if you are in the car. Even if you are near the car, that's good enough. Again, I BELIEVE ('cuz it used to be but things change daily) they MUST try to contact the person operating the vehicle before they give you a ticket if the operator is in vicinity of the car. So if you get out of your car and walk half a block to look at the signs (as I have done dozens of times), they have to look around to see if they see someone reading the sign. If you're in the car, it's a no-brainer. What if the car broke down and you're sitting waiting for help? Can they ticket you for a no parking zone? Not if you're in the car. Of course, the new tactic is write the ticket and wait for the driver to get worn down from fighting and just pay.

2. They must attach the ticket to the car. They won't be able to truthfully swear to this, but the truth doesn't seem to be an issue for them.

So ask Mr. Google if these two laws are still on the books.
Feel free to post ANY cite for what you claim is law ('cuz it ain't)

Isis1

Methinks mr biker doesn't wear a helmet.

OP, I'd contest the vehicle on your situation. This sounds like something a gracious judge would dismiss. There are a few of them here in LA.

CdwJava

Methinks mr biker doesn't wear a helmet.

OP, I'd contest the vehicle on your situation. This sounds like something a gracious judge would dismiss. There are a few of them here in LA.
As a parking citation, there would be no judge involved.

PinkLotus

Update, well I mailed my a contesting letter stating my situation clearly and a picture of the location I was at and the distance from the parking signs, etc. and within FIVE business days of me dropping the letter off at the post office, I recieved a letter back saying that the charges were valid. Feels like they didn't even bother reading since they mailed a reply so quickly, probably an auto-reply. :( I gave in and just paid the $88 because the hassle of contesting it further seems too annoying. There goes my perfect record of no tickets/being pulled over, etc.

Thanks again to everyone!

CdwJava

Those are actually very simple to review, so a one day turn around would not be too surprising.

I doubt it was an "auto-reply." Someone reviewed your protest and the citation, then decided that the citation was issued lawfully and within policy. It may have been cheesy (if your interpretation is correct), but the section still appears to apply.

PinkLotus

Thats true but I did think it would take a month or so at the least for a reply considering it was in Los Angeles. I was semi kidding about the auto-reply though but I am bitter! =x

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">