• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Part time employee rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cmcleod48

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Georgia
I am a full time college student (at 32) and I work 20 hours per week for a large company. I recently told my supervisor that I need to be off for 2 weeks in December because my stepfather is in a hospice and is terminally ill and my mom needs to have knee replacement surgery but can't because she needs someone to take care of her and my stepfather. So, I told them that I would travel to Virginia and stay with them for 2 1/2 weeks as soon as my school semester is over. My boss basically told me that if I take the time off, my job will be replaced. I work for a property management company and the winter is their least productive time. I feel this is unfair. I do not have any other option but to take care of my family so, I have to go. But I really love my job and don't want to lose it. Are there any laws or rights I may have to keep my job? Thanks.

mlane58

Are there any laws or rights I may have to keep my job? No

Your employer can terminate your employment for any reason that they want to as long as it doesn't violate the law and there is nothing in your post to suggest your employer is doing anything illegal

Beth3

It's possible that you may qualify for leave time to care for your parents under the Family and Medical Leave Act but only if you've worked there for at least 12 months as of the time you are requesting leave AND worked at least 1,250 hours during those 12 months.

pattytx

Immoral? Oh, come now. Unethical? By whose standards? This here is free "legal" advice. We advise on the law. If you don't like the laws, lobby your legislators to change them. Until that time, the answer you received is legally correct.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">