• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Partial Unemployment Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JOliver

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

Good afternoon,

I work as a temporary employee for the company I work for. This past week we only worked Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday.

I was previously on unemployment (approved for 26.5 weeks only used 1 week before returning to work so 25.5 weeks still available.) I was given the Michigan max in unemployment benefits when I filed.

My question is - can I file a partial claim with unemployment for the two days of missed work which would be 16 hours missed? I'll be receiving a check this Friday for work of 24 hours.

If it helps I make $14.65/hr so gross pay will equate to $351.60.

Thanks.

ecmst12

You should file every week and report how many hours you worked and how much money you made. If you are due any benefits, you will get them.

commentator

Excellent idea. They (temp agency) will either have to complete the partial unemployment form for you or you will have to file for it yourself on line. If this is the case, it will take a while to get paid, but worth it if you are eligible to receive anything. And it will depend a lot on what your claim weekly amount was. That claim you have filed previously and have only received one week from so far will only be good for a year from the date it was filed. After that, it will be gone, and you will not be able to get it, will have to set up a new claim, even if you haven't used it at all.

But we assume that you filed that one less than a year ago.
You'll go on and report your weekly gross earnings for Sunday through Saturday of last week, and you may be able to receive some unemployment from this claim, though it will not be the full weekly amount you would receive if you were totally unemployed.

You can file, or your company can file for you. It'd be nice if they would do so, but is not necessary. You'll probably be off or miss days at least another week or two during the holidays.

Last edited:

pattytx

In my (now) state of Pennsylvania, yes you would be eligible for a partial payment if your earnings for the week did not exceed the amount you are allowed to earn before benefits are not payable. I would imagine most states are the same.

How long has it been since you filed a claim? In my state, we file online and if it's been several week or months, you could not file online until you called at got the claim re-opened

JOliver

I am within the 1 yr time frame that my last claim was filed. It was filed for the first work week of August - I returned to work August 10th.

Thanks for the advice - it's just so difficult to get through to Michigans Unemployment Insurance Agency line....it's always "all lines are busy...CLICK."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">