• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

PAS in infomercial

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WI

Disclaimer - This post is not meant to open a discussion regarding the validity of PAS or any other disorder mentioned below.

I had to go in to work early this morning, so I was sitting in front of the TV with a bowl of cereal at 4:30am. An infomercial came on that was talking about how the pharmaceutical companies fund research for non-existent disorders so they can produce and sell drugs for said disorders. I think the infomercial was supposed to be selling a book or something about the topic.

Anyway, one of the "disorders" they mentioned was PAS (parental alienation syndrome). The infomercial claims that drug companies are funding research so they can make a drug for PAS. HUH???? :confused: As we have discussed here, PAS is discredited syndrome that doesn't hold any weight in legal or psychotherapy communities.

But even if they COULD make a drug for parental alienation, who would it be for? The parent doing the alienating? I highly doubt the alienating parent would admit that there was a problem, much less take a drug to get them to stop. The parent being alienated? Meh, just put them on an anti-depressant. The children in the middle? What are you going to do? Give them a drug to disbelieve one parent and like the other?

Pharma companies - sorry, but I think your research dollars are not being well spent on this endeavor! :p

mistoffolees

Did they actually say "parental alienation syndrome" or did they simply say 'PAS'?

There are a ton of other things that PAS stands for.

mistoffolees

They specifically said Parental Alienation Syndrome. I will see if I can find a link to the infomercial.
Don't bother. There are a lot of loony people out there, I don't need to watch any more.

Clearly, they're playing on peoples' fears and ignorance. Just don't buy the book.

Proserpina

Is this that "1000 things the drug companies don't want you to know" guy?

That would be my arch nemesis Kevin Trudeau.

Who is THE - in my humble opinion and before anyone yells at me the FTC apparently agrees with me hence his convictions and multi-million dollar fines and yes I typed that whole thing out without inhaling even once - biggest scam artist since PT Barnum.

I'm fairly sure he's still banned from producing/starring in informercials though ...unless the ban expired.

(You know how he got around that last time? He went to England, did a couple of commercials there and then sold the commercials to US stations. Technically apparently that's ok)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">