• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paternity

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LdiJ

Well, actually..... If you are NOT the father, a court could certainly make you give up the child. Sorry, but that is the reality.
I agree, but its not 100% certain that a court would make him give up the child...and the home DNA test, as long as he keeps it to himself will not do anything other than let him know what he might be up against if the biological father does try to challenge his legal paternity.

Liam1o

Courts look at well being of the child before making a decision to take a child away. After 3 years of living with me rarely if ever seeing his mother he doesn't know anyone to be mom, and he only knows me to be dad. A judge might look at it as better for the child to leave him in the custody of the person he has known as dad for 3 years. Though you're right they could take him, and the fear that I'll lose him to the man she claims to be his possible father or to her, both individuals with their own reasons why they should not be around children, I just want to be as careful as possible. The mother is a heroine addict and has many other issues, and I've seen the other "possible" father physically abuse both her and his current sons mother, as well as put his son at risk. I just want to protect my son as best possible.

Liam1o

Nevertheless thank you all for your help, I'll look into home paternity tests. I highly appreciate it!

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Just be aware that a home DNA test will not be admissible in court. If it turns out to be negative, I would be consulting with an attorney so as to understand your best strategies should they be needed.

Proserpina

Paternity was established by both myself and his mother stating that I was the father without a doubt. She now is claiming that another man is the father to the mans mother while in a halfway house with her. It's gotten all the way back to me that she's saying this to numerous people. I have raised my son myself so I don't intend to allow anyone to take him from me because regardless of what a paternity test says I know I'm him father and I'll still be his father even if it says otherwise. As far as the at home paternity test, can you please tell me how I can find one? How much they run generally speaking?
Courts look at well being of the child before making a decision to take a child away. After 3 years of living with me rarely if ever seeing his mother he doesn't know anyone to be mom, and he only knows me to be dad. A judge might look at it as better for the child to leave him in the custody of the person he has known as dad for 3 years. Though you're right they could take him, and the fear that I'll lose him to the man she claims to be his possible father or to her, both individuals with their own reasons why they should not be around children, I just want to be as careful as possible. The mother is a heroine addict and has many other issues, and I've seen the other "possible" father physically abuse both her and his current sons mother, as well as put his son at risk. I just want to protect my son as best possible.
You need a bit of a reality check here.

If you're not the father and the court allows paternity to be disestablished, you may well be handing over the child whether you like it or not. "Best interest" does NOT equate to the child being placed with you if you're not actually the father, even if the child has resided with you for 3 years

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">