• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pay difference considered discrimination?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sparkz327

What is the name of your state? Virginia

I've worked with the same company for six years and they have done nothing but walk all over me. I am paid less than new employees with no experience. I am denied promotion because another employee has children to take care of and I don't. They even had the nerve to ask me to train her?!? I've recieved nothing but praise from them, yet they continually keep my compensation below all the other employees.

I've noticed that they do not have any African Americans working within their offices. I'm the only one of color and I'm mixed. It has been joked that is the reason I slipped through the racedar. I 've been asked to pose in a promotional brochure because it was so hard to tell my origin. I'm sick of being walked on. Can I sue them?

Beth3

No, you can't sue them. If you believe you are being paid less because of your race, you may file a complaint of race discrimination with your State's equal rights division or the federal EEOC. The State or EEOC will then investigate and make a determination whether there is probable cause to believe race discrimination occurred. If they issue you a "right to sue" letter, THEN you can sue. You'll have 90 days to file a lawsuit from the date the letter is issued.

You must pursue a complaint with the State or federal government before you can pursue civil action.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">